Esteemed Contributor

Re: United Health Care considers dropping out of Obamacare,

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

The 33 million should talk to their State Governors. 

They shouldn't have to....

Super Contributor

Re: United Health Care considers dropping out of Obamacare

My cobra from my two recent jobs in the last few years are $450 for a pretty decent Kaiser CA plan.  Another really good HMO that I used to have was $800 per month for the cobra.  Employers are offering cheaper plans with higher deductibles because of obamascare, so the cobra therefore is cheaper.  That's how you know the employers are cutitng down on their costs of healthcare.  5 years ago, my cobra at $800 was not an option becuase it was a true HMO with $10 copays, a thing of the past.

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

United Health Care is so darn expensive!  I had them for years while I worked.  When I retired in June I was eligible to continue with them through a Cobra group plan.  Well, they wanted over $500 a month!  Might have been $600, don't remember exactly except to know it was way, way too high considering it was still supposed to be a group plan.  Ridiculous!  Maybe because of ACA, their premiums are so high to us not using the Market, they're pricing themselves out.

That is the nature of COBRA more than the particular health insurance. $500 is actually relatively cheap considering what COBRA usually is, which is more like $600-$800. I've been able to get COBRA twice and both times it was closer to $800 a month. I don't think I've ever known of anyone who was offered COBRA with any insurance plan that was less than $500 or $600 a month.

Now for a normal plan with decent deductible which they all have now run about $400-500 for cobra from an employer with 5000+ employees.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia

Taxpayers do not pay for federal politicians' health care.  Members of Congress pay the employee portion of the premiums in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, the same as all other Federal government employees.  When they leave Congress, they get their own health insurance, just the same as everyone else.  They are not "covered for life" on the taxpayers' dime.

@Venezia wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@mineralgirl1 wrote:

Those of us who work in healthcare knew Obamacare would be a disaster. Unfortunately, we have been proven correct. Health care in the US is much worse than before. I could literally tell you dozens of stories of people who have been harmed by it. I know some have benefitted, but not that many.

Please tell us a story of someone harmed by insurance...

I'd love to hear it!

So would I.  I know a lot of people who are incredibly grateful that they've been able to afford insurance for the first time in their lives and that they can't be excluded or dropped for pre-existing conditions.

(BTW, millions of people have signed up!  What are the politicians going to do with them, if they repeal this healthcare act?  Is it a case of "I'm all right, Jack"?  Remember, all of our politicians have gold standard healthcare for life.  Paid for by the taxpayer!  They should have to sign up the same as everyone else and get a dose of reality.)

Trusted Contributor

PART D for people with Medicare.  What I have does not cover one of my medicines.  I don't know what to do?  I am paying each month and it covers nothing I take.  I wonder if I have to keep part D?

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

United Healthcare has/is making money hand over fist.  They're my insurance company and I don't feel sorry for them one bit.

They are mine too and I agree, I don't feel sorry for them, lol.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DowntonAbbey

@Ilovehummingbirds wrote:

PART D for people with Medicare.  What I have does not cover one of my medicines.  I don't know what to do?  I am paying each month and it covers nothing I take.  I wonder if I have to keep part D?

It's open enrollment season right now, so search the plans available to you & try to find one or more that do cover your meds.  You can also call your state's Medicare office for assistance with finding the plan you need.

Respected Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

United Healthcare reports they lost 425 million on Obamacare policies.  Aetna, by the way, also reported losses.  Looks like we will see others jump ship...and the co ops are struggling and failing.  If everyone is losing money on Obamacare plans, there is nothing to offset the unprofitable insurers.   The money will have to come from the taxpayer, unfortunately. 

The truth:

Aetna recorded more than $2 billion in profit in fiscal 2014, the highest level in the company’s history and a signal that healthcare reform continues to treat the health insurance industry well.                 from Modern Healthcare

UnitedHealth closed the books in 2014 with near-record profits and easily the most revenue in the Minnetonka, Minn.-based company's history. Full-year revenue reached $130.5 billion, up 6.5% from 2013.             From Modern Healthcare

They may have lost some money in niche markets, but they are both making very, very sizeable profits.

2015 numbers of course are not in yet. We'll see what the actual profits are.

Of course they are making money....working folks had premiums go way up the past 2 years...UHC underwrites AARP policies.  These groups will always yield profit but ACA plans are losers, many of the sicker folks are insured now, as they should be, but medical care is much more costly for chronic serious health conditions...so more is going out than coming in for that sector.   So UHC will back out before loses are too high and they will have to increase AARP and private plans and folks will look elsewhere....seems logical to me 

My "working folks" premium went up zero last year and $10 per month this year, so a blanket statement that working folks' premiums went way up is not correct. There is a good mix of young people in the plan which helps to keep premiums down.  

AARP members are over 50 years old. The more elderly segment of society accounts for the lion's share of health care. Far more than any other segment.  What group requires more healthcare than the elderly?

The working folks I know had premiums that went up a lot more than that. So YOUR statement is NOT correct for everyone YOU don't know.

That makes no sense whatsoever, so I'll just borrow a page from the bot-book.

Woman Very HappyWoman Very HappyWoman Very Happy

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

Where did people state premiums were going to go down?  The costs would be controlled.  Premiums ALWAYS went up yearly and at higher numbers

People who didn't get to keep their insurance - that is because they had junk insurance or the insurance company dropped it.   That is the biggest problem with the ACHA - insurance companies for profit.  Should be non-profit.  The insurance companies got a lot of sweet kickbacks but they still had to abide by some laws and they don't like it.  It will cut into their profit margin.

Be angry at insurance companies who refuse to do the right thing.

Biancardi - check out the Kaiser site...kff.org.

If you search premium increase by state...you will see that in 2016, average ACA rates have gone DOWN in many states...the usual suspects - the places who won't expand Medicaid - have seen increases.

I use that site a lot for work, but it's very easy to read - they even have great charts.

IN CA our rates go up every year, even with my employer.  I am leaving to relocate and getting health insurance for myself and my self employed husband is an absolute nightmare.  And yes its based on income my husband has a decent income and when I was unemployed I GOT NO SUBSIDY FROM OBAMA.  Nothing.  Paid through the roof, and we will be paying that again, as my last day at my employer, an employer of 5000+ employees mind you, nationwide, my insurance ends at midnight!  So not only do I have to get insurance for hte rest of the month, not at the first of the next month.  The entire thing is a nightmare and my husand really wants to relocate the business so we are moving.  Health insurance has literally hindered and affected every job interview, every career move I've made in the last 5  years.  It shouldnot be like this. I take a position based on the benefits offered or I should say NOT offered.

Super Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

One of my very good friends owns her own business along with her husband.  In order for her to have medical insurance, she would have to pay 1200.00 per month and they just cannot afford it, therefore, they are uninsured.  So at tax time she is penalized a hefty sum.  AFFORDABLE health care act? Hardly.  Not for a hardworking middle class family like hers.

Pretty much the same boat we are in.  Until someone has been there and paid that much for insurance, they just don't understand.  We rarely go to the doctor becuase we don't want to pay the deductible.  I need surgery but have not gotten it becuase of the deductible and co pay for it. 

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

One of my very good friends owns her own business along with her husband.  In order for her to have medical insurance, she would have to pay 1200.00 per month and they just cannot afford it, therefore, they are uninsured.  So at tax time she is penalized a hefty sum.  AFFORDABLE health care act? Hardly.  Not for a hardworking middle class family like hers.

Sorry - just not buying that! many much less expensive plans out there.