Respected Contributor

Re: United Health Care considers dropping out of Obamacare

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

My husband is self employed.  I was laid off.  WE NEED HEALTHCARE. Not everyone has jobs and it took me almost two years to find another job in CA.  So much for unemployment going down.  Most people I knew worked part time which meant no health insurance and stopped applying to full time jobs, which is why the unemployment rate seemed to stable.  After two years of searching with a great resume, it's demoralizing, interview after interview.  So people just stop.  A few of my friends who lost their job cannot afford cobra or obamascare and are uninsured for the first time in their life.  People with jobs, all of their copays have risen significantly, nevermind the insane deductible plans is all they have to choose from now.  No more HMO's.  It is hurting the middle income working class.  I have a relative who shows barely no salary, self employed, can get obamacare more than half of what we are quoted.  So he's happy.  It's for the poor, not the middle class.

I also have a relative that pays $60 a month for the top notch plan that includes dental. No copay, no deductible.

I am paying over 10x that amount with a $3500 deductible and co-pays.

Why am I paying 10 x more but getting less coverage?

Because of the insurance company that you have. 

Medicare for all.

it would solve a lot of these issues.

And Medicare will bankrupt soon?  What's your answer?  

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

My husband is self employed.  I was laid off.  WE NEED HEALTHCARE. Not everyone has jobs and it took me almost two years to find another job in CA.  So much for unemployment going down.  Most people I knew worked part time which meant no health insurance and stopped applying to full time jobs, which is why the unemployment rate seemed to stable.  After two years of searching with a great resume, it's demoralizing, interview after interview.  So people just stop.  A few of my friends who lost their job cannot afford cobra or obamascare and are uninsured for the first time in their life.  People with jobs, all of their copays have risen significantly, nevermind the insane deductible plans is all they have to choose from now.  No more HMO's.  It is hurting the middle income working class.  I have a relative who shows barely no salary, self employed, can get obamacare more than half of what we are quoted.  So he's happy.  It's for the poor, not the middle class.

I also have a relative that pays $60 a month for the top notch plan that includes dental. No copay, no deductible.

Medicare for all.

You do understand why it will be bankrupt soon, yes? It is because it is for older people only now and we know that the end of life care is so expensive.  If you have all people, including the young and healthy that "don't need" that do not generate a lot of health care costs now in medicare, the costs are evened out. 

That is why medicare has issues today. It is because it is separate from the rest of the health care process and we need to be all in the same big tent in order for all Americans to get decent health care.

btw - just because someone is young and healthy now, doesn't mean that they won't be stricken down unexpectedly.   I was very healthy, no issues, and then wham.  In the hospital - 3 major surgeries in 9 months, my abdomen sliced opened and I almost died twice.  

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

Medicare for all.

When you look at the total money that government spends on healthcare (the VA, CHIP, WIC, Medicare, Medicaid, insurance subsidies, and more) if you took all of that and pooled it into Medicare and erased all of the rest of the programs and then added minor tweaks to Medicare, the money would be there. The most expensive patients (the elderly and those with chronic coditions) are already on Medicare, so adding the relatively healthy, younger population shouldn't be a huge strain. Maybe have larger deductibles, larger co-pays for the younger patients, but with minor tweaks the money could be found.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

Why do healthy people need to buy the top notch plan? You buy the plan you can afford. When i was younger i went years and years never putting in any claim against my health ins. except my yearly gyn checkup. I bought the cheapest plan my job offered. You should not need to by the most expensive plan if you are healthy and not using it. It is just there to back you up in an emergency.

Why would you NOT buy the best plan if it only cost $60 a month??? You would be a fool not to. My stepson was the healthiest 18-year-old in the world until the day he was diagnosed with two inoperable and terminal brain tumors. We were glad we had awesome health insurance that ensured he received the best care possible. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

Medicare for all.

When you look at the total money that government spends on healthcare (the VA, CHIP, WIC, Medicare, Medicaid, insurance subsidies, and more) if you took all of that and pooled it into Medicare and erased all of the rest of the programs and then added minor tweaks to Medicare, the money would be there. The most expensive patients (the elderly and those with chronic coditions) are already on Medicare, so adding the relatively healthy, younger population shouldn't be a huge strain. Maybe have larger deductibles, larger co-pays for the younger patients, but with minor tweaks the money could be found.

ITA....there should be one carrier, single entry and no other entitlement programs.  It would then be truly universal health care and similar to the European and Canadian models.  Medicare is the one agency which seems to function well.  

Esteemed Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

Medicare for all.

@Greenhouse wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

Medicare for all.

You do understand why it will be bankrupt soon, yes? It is because it is for older people only now and we know that the end of life care is so expensive.  If you have all people, including the young and healthy that "don't need" that do not generate a lot of health care costs now in medicare, the costs are evened out. 

That is why medicare has issues today. It is because it is separate from the rest of the health care process and we need to be all in the same big tent in order for all Americans to get decent health care.

btw - just because someone is young and healthy now, doesn't mean that they won't be stricken down unexpectedly.   I was very healthy, no issues, and then wham.  In the hospital - 3 major surgeries in 9 months, my abdomen sliced opened and I almost died twice.  

Well, a lot of the problem is that our leaders felt it was necessary to borrow from Medicare for other entitlements, a second issue is that less people are working and not paying into the fund, lastly younger people will not have a funded plan....end of life care may be expensive but older Americans are more health conscious, live longer and are probably in better health than those before them....many die naturally and many don't....it depends what end care involves.  But, the system was meant for older people and can't sustain younger entrants as the program stands.  You would have to suspend all entitlement programs to cover all citizens as @gardenman suggested.  I don't see that happening any time soon.  Everyone needs health insurance as we don't know what life has in store for us....

Super Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

I'm assuming because of your income?  It's so frustrating that you try to work hard and get ahead.  It's no even the high prices, but give us back the normal insurance we used to be able to purchase.  Now we are just paying for people to come to our country and have free healthcare.  So infuriating.  I personally know people who are on medi cal here in CA simply becuase they came here from another country and don't make that much $.  So easy to just stay in that tax bracket, why bother moving up in life.  Yet I was unemployed and paid $425 per month for my cobra, which was cheaper than my obama ****** plan.

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

Why do healthy people need to buy the top notch plan? You buy the plan you can afford. When i was younger i went years and years never putting in any claim against my health ins. except my yearly gyn checkup. I bought the cheapest plan my job offered. You should not need to by the most expensive plan if you are healthy and not using it. It is just there to back you up in an emergency.

We don't want an emergency catastrophic plan, but actually that is all that obamascare offers.  I have crohn's disease and would like to know that my medical is covered, not just in the case of cancer.  I have a friend that actually said i'm not paying $500 a month for healthscare, I'll just file bankrupcy, no ones taking my house.  They can't deny me if I'm dying in the hospital.  So that is what peple actually do in this country.  They don't get coverage and hope for the best, and we pay for their care if something happens.

Honored Contributor

@Ladyjenn wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

We don't want an emergency catastrophic plan, but actually that is all that obamascare offers.  I have crohn's disease and would like to know that my medical is covered, not just in the case of cancer.  I have a friend that actually said i'm not paying $500 a month for healthscare, I'll just file bankrupcy, no ones taking my house.  They can't deny me if I'm dying in the hospital.  So that is what peple actually do in this country.  They don't get coverage and hope for the best, and we pay for their care if something happens.

That is 100% incorrect. There are 4 levels of plans, including platinum plans that have 0 dedictibles and low co-pays.

If you check it out - with an open mind, you may be pleasantly surprised. It is made for people with chronic diseases, like you have.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

That is 100% incorrect. There are 4 levels of plans, including platinum plans that have 0 dedictibles and low co-pays.

If you check it out - with an open mind, you may be pleasantly surprised. It is made for people with chronic diseases, like you have.

Platinum plan is $450 per person per month.  How on earth could we afford a gold plan.  We have checked it out, we look into every year.  Everyone I know their health insurance costs through their employer is going up too every year as well.  In a few years what are we going to be at $700 a month? I think the gold plan was quoted over $500 now per month.   We have a mortgage and kids in college.

Lets not even discuss the $15,000 out of pocket MAXIMUM!  My last employer plan out of pocket was $5000.  But I should pay almost $500 per month for a $15k out of pocket max.  INSANITY.  Our PLATINUM plan has a $3000 deductible.  Maybe your state is better!  Lucky.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

But my family is just one example.  I'm sure there are people that are happy to obtain obamacare and their subsidies.  Believe me I'm the idiot who voted for him the first time thinking me with my pre-existing issue would be helped.  It has done nothing but hinder me from affording health insurance.  My husband would love to have me work solely for him, but even as a company we can't get group coverage unless he covers all of his part time employees.  So I have to work full time to insure him for the rest of our lives.  And he will never have full time employees, cause can't afford to foot the bill for them.  He has a small business not a giant corporation and that's why I believe insurance companies need to compete for our business, NOT what is happening in our country. At least we could PAY for good healthcare if we wanted to if insurance companies competed for our business. Heck even Starbucks stopped insuring folks and only hires part time now.