Honored Contributor

Re: United Health Care considers dropping out of Obamacare

@Jacie wrote:

COBRA is always super expensive.

I find it interesting that Obamacare isn't exactly panning out.....I wouldn't call it a success that's for sure!

When my DH took a buy-out and left a job, we had the option to cotinue his health coverage under COBRA.  For he and I the monthly premium was going to be close to $900.00.  We opted not to continue the coverage.

Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

COBRA is always super expensive.

I find it interesting that Obamacare isn't exactly panning out.....I wouldn't call it a success that's for sure!

I wouldn't call it a surprise either, that's for sure!

Honored Contributor

When my husband died,i was able to do corba,for one year, but it was costing me$800.00 a month.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

What your staffing was in the ICU and what UVA's staffing is obviously differ.  I was there with my husband every day all day and there was a nursing assistant  for every two patients.  They performed many more activities then what you indicate.

I was  a critical care nurse for 42 years and worked from community hospitals to University medical centers and NEVER did each nurse have her own nurse aide to assist her.Clearly, this hospital where you were is very unusual. I can't even imagine what there would be for a CNA to do in ICU if she only had 2 patients as they require little care that is at a nurse aide level. Even turning and bathing etc aren't simple when the patient is attached to so much equipment like heart pumps and ventilators and swan ganz lines etc.etc etc. that are the very reason they have to be in ICU in the first place.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's def not working out.  I had cobra for 2 years in 2014 -2015 which was way cheaper than obamascare!!!!  Now if cobra's cheaper, then the US has got problems.  The unaffordable care act is for the poor and people on welfare.  If you make an average wage, you cannot purchase affordable healthcare like we used to be able to.  Such a shame more people don't fight this.  People who have jobs for 10-20 years that have not been laid off do not have a clue. 

Honored Contributor

When a person decides to get COBRA in order to keep their insurance after they are no longer employed for some reason they must pay the employees share - the employers share - and a small admin. fee. That is why it is so expensive. Most likely those employees would be better off to go to the ACA marketplace and search for insurance there. Thanks to the ACA we no longer have to depend on our employers to provide us with health insurance, and when we are unemployed or don't have insurance for any other reason, we have the option to get insurance thru the ACA. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladyjenn wrote:

It's def not working out.  I had cobra for 2 years in 2014 -2015 which was way cheaper than obamascare!!!!  Now if cobra's cheaper, then the US has got problems.  The unaffordable care act is for the poor and people on welfare.  If you make an average wage, you cannot purchase affordable healthcare like we used to be able to.  Such a shame more people don't fight this.  People who have jobs for 10-20 years that have not been laid off do not have a clue. 

I don',t have data so I could be wrong but it's my guess that O-care has simply changed who is uninsured.  Previously, lower income people who were not eligible for Medicaid could not afford medical insurance, but middle income folks were satisfied with their plans. Now, lower income people can afford O-care due the subsidies, but the price is beyond what the middle income folks can afford.  

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When a person decides to get COBRA in order to keep their insurance after they are no longer employed for some reason they must pay the employees share - the employers share - and a small admin. fee. That is why it is so expensive. Most likely those employees would be better off to go to the ACA marketplace and search for insurance there. Thanks to the ACA we no longer have to depend on our employers to provide us with health insurance, and when we are unemployed or don't have insurance for any other reason, we have the option to get insurance thru the ACA. 

We tried the marketplace.  Kaiser cost more money than my COBRA for a better plan with less deductible.  That's why Obamascare is so insane.  Who pays more for healthcare than Cobra which is your cost, the employer premium and another percentage for handling!  Even the people trying to sell me obamascare were embarrassed they could not help me. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nomless wrote:

@Ladyjenn wrote:

I don',t have data so I could be wrong but it's my guess that O-care has simply changed who is uninsured.  Previously, lower income people who were not eligible for Medicaid could not afford medical insurance, but middle income folks were satisfied with their plans. Now, lower income people can afford O-care due the subsidies, but the price is beyond what the middle income folks can afford.  

My husband is self employed.  I was laid off.  WE NEED HEALTHCARE. Not everyone has jobs and it took me almost two years to find another job in CA.  So much for unemployment going down.  Most people I knew worked part time which meant no health insurance and stopped applying to full time jobs, which is why the unemployment rate seemed to stable.  After two years of searching with a great resume, it's demoralizing, interview after interview.  So people just stop.  A few of my friends who lost their job cannot afford cobra or obamascare and are uninsured for the first time in their life.  People with jobs, all of their copays have risen significantly, nevermind the insane deductible plans is all they have to choose from now.  No more HMO's.  It is hurting the middle income working class.  I have a relative who shows barely no salary, self employed, can get obamacare more than half of what we are quoted.  So he's happy.  It's for the poor, not the middle class.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our market place insurance salesman said for Obamascare to help you with any subsidies for insurance you would have to sell your home, lose your jobs and have 0 cars.  Yeah it's working.  Please don't comment if you are working and have had employer health care your entire life.  It is wonderful, but you will have to work till you are 80 to afford it. 

I'm sorry it's a very upsetting subject when you have worked all your life and lose your job and you cannot afford healthcare, or all of your income goes to your health insurance.  I would not even mind paying so much if it were for the HMO's of years past where you had a $10 copay!  That I can see paying for! Not this $5000 deductible ******.