Super Contributor
Hi everyone! I posed a couple weeks ago about refacing my cabinets and received really good feedback. I am now in the process of getting estimates.
The first estimate was from a cabinet maker. He has been in business for 38 years.
He would custom make the doors and make two of my drawers functional. Also dress up the drawers.
His estimate was $9400.
I then had Home Depot come. The lady was rather pushy. They only sold thermafoil which I didn't like. She had me pick out two styles . Said it was 10% off with numerous free upgrades. Prices were $18,000 plus and 16,000 plus and $550 for shipping.
Now I am waiting for Kitchen Magic to come. Canceled today. Anyone have experience with them?
I am thinking of canceling Kitchen Magic and going with the cabinet maker. Any thoughts?
Meanwhile, my backsplash has been removed.
By the way , I have 26 doors and the drawers. Thanks so much.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPDATE: Refacing cabinets.

@bichon mom  I had a cabinet maker make an island for our kitchen as well as change out my upper cabinet doors and insert custom glass, then had him come back and change out my counter top to match the new island. I would definitely go with a cabinet maker. They take so much pride in their work and  offer really valuable ideas. No idea what the cost was, it was so long ago, it wouldn't be comparative to today's prices anyway. Happy decorating !!

Monday Graphic #13

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

Wow I am surprised at the price.  It seems high to me but then again I have never had this done.  I wonder what new cabinets would be.  It might be good to get a price.  We redid a very small kitchen and had new cabinets installed by IKEA.  I am at a different house so I can't look up the price but my kitchen in the other house is a very small galley kitchen.  As far as the cancellation, it depends on why they cancelled.  If you feel it was not a good reason, then forget them but if there was someone sick or a death in a family I would give them a pass.  You sure don't want them to come sick and get your family sick.  Good luck with all.

Esteemed Contributor

My next project after I replace the tiles in my bathtub/shower area is to have my kitchen cabinets replaced but I must admit your estimates seems rather high for resurfacing I have a small kitchen and have not gotten any estimates yet.  I guess it also depends on the type of cabinets mine is all wood.

Respected Contributor

Hi Bichon Mom....I replied to your orginal post.  I had both my kitchen and master bathroom cabinets refaced.  I also had about the same number of drawers in my kitchen and the guy who did my cabinets also made the drawer below the sink functional.  I don't think the price is too high.  Like I said in the other post...mine cost about $6000 and that was about 10 years ago.  I'd just make sure that it's all wood, even the center of the cabinet because many sometimes use a plastic there.  IMO, I don't care for Home Depot.  We had them out to the house too but it was for an entire remodel.  The person who came out measured just about everything incorrectly, did just about everything wrong.  Went back to Home Depot.  Just so happened that the guy who was at our house was there, he saw us before we got further in the store and ran.  And, IMO, the price quoted from Home Depot is too high.  I never heard of Kitchen Magic.  Did you try looking for someone on Houzz? Or maybe even Yelp?  I found came across kitchen cabinets refacing a lot when I was searching for a contractor for the bathroom in our new home.  Maybe even look into more cabinet makers?  Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

when i was redoing my kitchen i found that replacing all the cabinets was not that much more expensive than refacing them. I got an estimate from Kitchen Magic and they were ridiculously expensive and hounded me even after I told them no. Good luck!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I would give the contract to the cabinet maker.I hired a small businessman to do my refacing.He worked with a cabinet maker.They did a fabulous job!! Five years later I had a problem with 2  of the doors.He came back & replaced them no charge.I thought he was going to try to repair the doors.He said no. This problem shouldn't have happened & he insisted on replacing them!

Home Depot & Kitchen Magic are part of big chains.I got estimates from them too.They're expensive & don't provide the personal service that a small business does!!

I have a large kitchen.I had 23 doors & 5 drawers replaced.I also had a large pantry built.I had crown moulding put all-around the top of the cabinets.They also installed a countertop,new hardware & a designer series brushed nickel sink.

It's been about 10 years.My kitchen is the center of gatherings in our home! Everything still looks new.I still get compliments!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a Cabinet maker redo under my kitchen sink, both floor and walls, and he did an awesome job.  I would go with the Cabinet maker.

Respected Contributor

@bichon mom

Hi.  You might want to also post your update in the Home forum.  I think that is where you originally posted.  

P.S.  I would probably go with the cabinet maker.  That price from Home Depot seems really high.  

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone! I am sorry! I thought I posted in Home forum but I guess I didn't !
Thx for letting me know.