Honored Contributor

Re: Two teens charged with starting Tennessee fire

To make excuses for them because of their age does disservice to the 90% or more other  juveniles who behave responsibly.

Until parents are made to pay for the actions of their children we will have to endure the results of their poor parenting.

Honored Contributor

My parents absolutely taught my brothers and I right from wrong, but it still didn't stop one of them from sneaking a pack of matches out of the house and starting a fire on our property when he was about 6 or 7.   

At that time, our parents were still clearing the land given to them from my grandparents.  Dad cut the brush, brother and I would drag the brush to Mom, and she stacked the brushpile.   Dad would burn the brushpile, and when the fire burned down to hot ashes, we would roast marshmallows.   

Little brother wanted to roast marshmallows, so he built his own tiny brushpile, which then spread into dry leaves and pine needles, and took off.   Mom was able to beat the fire out with a wet rug, and there was no real damage.   Brother got the one whipping he remembers from childhood, and learned a big lesson about playing with matches.   

I am wondering if the juveniles were smoking, and started the fire from a tossed cigarette.   Whatever they did, their thoughtless actions resulted in a horrific situation.   I would truly hate to be the kids, or their parents, as they are held responsible for this tragic situation.   

Honored Contributor

I wonder if it was posted on   facebook? People do all kinds of awful stuff ,then brag about it there

Respected Contributor

Of course I hate to hear about these fires being related to arson.  But surprised that since it is arson that it involves teens?  No, not here.

In fact, the majority of the arrests for arson in this country are teenagers.  Firesetting in teens has long been a major issue.

At any rate, it doesn't matter their age.  It doesn't reverse the tremendous damage done to this area, doesn't bring back people that lost their life in the fire, doesn't lessen the suffering of those burned, or bring back jobs and homes that were lost.

@chickenbutt noted it was aggravated arson which means it wasn't an accident.  The most important thing is they have arrested them, they are in custody,and will face charges. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

They were charged with aggravated arson, so I really don't think it was from a cigarette or anything accidental. I think it was intentional.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I think that the 'aggravated' degree of arson charge has to be much more serious than just arson.  Maybe aggravated just refers to how much damage (deaths, property damage) was done.  Or maybe it was a more egregious deed with intention or extreme carelessness and apathy.

Those are my guesses.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Hi @chickenbutt, aggravated arson usually means the fire was set with malicious intent. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

From a legal law definitions website:

Arson is defined as "the malicious burning of the dwelling of another" in common law. The elements are 1.The malicious 2.burning 3.of a dwelling 4.of another . Aggravated Arson is an arson accompanied by some aggravating factor, as when the offender foresees or anticipates that one or more persons will be in or near the property being burned.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Taking the following from what MarielG posted it is likely the aggravated arson charge arises because of the deaths and serious bodily injuries victims sustained.

"T.C.A. § 39-14-301. Aggravated arson consists of the conduct defined above when “one or more persons are present therein; or when any person, including firefighters and law enforcement officials, suffers serious bodily injury as a result of the fire or explosion.”

I read that no decision has been made yet about transferring them to adult court. In Tennessee to do that it appears they would have to be at least sixteen years old OR charged with some degree of murder.

In Tennessee Juvenile court may transfer the minor for any crime if the minor is sixteen or older. Murder or rape is automatically transferred. A “once an adult always an adult” policy is enforced unless the original case was acquitted, dismissed or reversed.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I certainly hope they get charged as adults, not minors - killing 14 people and millions of dollars in damage - where on earth are these kids' parents? 

Think of the animals too..unbelievable..what punishment would fit the crime???

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West