Valued Contributor

Two Children Shot at School This Morning - No News Coverage?

I always look at CNN.com in the morning for news items.

I just read that two children were shot at a Glendale, Arizona high school. Yet, CNN and the other cable stations are on politics, with no mention of another shooting tragedy.   

I know politics are a big story right now, but I'm disappointed that they can't break in to report on this situation.   Had I not gone on the website, I would never had a clue something of that nature was going on in our country.

Where are the priorities anymore?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Two Children Shot at School This Morning - No News Coverage?

Makes the crazies want to be a copycat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Going to go with a hunch: it may not have made the national news because:

1) it was not an entire school being targeted (gunman/men running through the building)

2) no one was killed

3) it was gang related.

Our HS has had gunshots fired (gang issues), a body found on the ground near the bleachers (drug and gang related due to a nearby neighborhood), one of my sons was stabbed (kid doing it as a long history of mental illness), neighbors' son was stabbed (walked between 2 gangs as they were just about to rumble and he was "wrong place, wrong time, dude). NONE of these made the news. Parents didn't  know about the first 2 until 2 weeks AFTER the fact when a letter from the Vice Principal hit our in-boxes.

Violence at the HS level is, sadly, the norm today...NOT the exception.

Esteemed Contributor

I live not to far from this high school (less than 10 minutes). Two sophomore girls  age 15 are dead. They won't say if it was a double suicide or suicide/murder. School is on lockdown, no active shooter. Parents are to pick up their kids at the Walmart across the street. Our local channels have returned to normal programming.

Valued Contributor

Two children died!   This deserves attention on the news stations.  

So sorry this happened in your community.

Honored Contributor

I'm in the general area and have only found coverage on ABC 15.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty

I am so sorry to hear that these girls died and even more so that it may have been a suicide.

A month ago there was an article sent to HS parents in my county regarding teenage suicide and how the mental health community has noticed a horrific  trend of suicide pacts recently.

My prayers to the family and those close to the girls.

Honored Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

Two children died!   This deserves attention on the news stations.  

Why does this 'deserve' attention?

People are killed/murdered & die every day, 24/7/365 with no mention.

Trusted Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I always look at CNN.com in the morning for news items.

I just read that two children were shot at a Glendale, Arizona high school. Yet, CNN and the other cable stations are on politics, with no mention of another shooting tragedy.   

I know politics are a big story right now, but I'm disappointed that they can't break in to report on this situation.   Had I not gone on the website, I would never had a clue something of that nature was going on in our country.

Where are the priorities anymore?

It is on ABC, Fox, CNN, NYDaily news web sites as well as several local new outlets. It is also on CNN's Facebook page and I imagine a lot of other sources as well. I haven't been watching TV this morning but saw it on Facebook.   I think it is getting plenty of national attention.  I see this type of comment all the time being used as a way to blame the media for not showing certain stories.  In almost all cases the stories have received tons of national and local coverage.  There are so many news sources now and I think most people get their info from lots of sources other than TV.  Unless you are watching one news station constantly it is difficult to say they have not covered a story. 

Esteemed Contributor

The news said that they heard that the girls were in a relationship together and this involved a breakup.