Honored Contributor

I buy the Costco SkipJack Tuna (something like that). Supposedly it's safe and doesn't harm any other creature, etc.

Honored Contributor

I like Whole Foods 365 Brand tuna.

When I buy tuna now, I buy Wild Planet brand in the glass jar.  I don't eat it often, but every once in a while I'm in the mood.

I make it using the ingredients from this recipe, I don't always make the tuna melt:

TUNA AND ROASTED TOMATO MELT by: Tom Colicchio - from his 'wichcraft

Makes 8 open faced sandwiches, 2 per person.

INGREDIENTS

2 - 6 ounce cans of tuna packed in olive oil, drained

1/4 cup peeled and finely diced celery root

1/4 finely diced red onion

1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried, plus additional for seasoning

4 tablespoons mayonnaise

juice from 1/2 a lemon

4 english muffins

8 tablespoons chopped roasted tomatoes (or sun-dried packed in oil, drained)

8 slices Gruyère cheese

INSTRUCTIONS Heat the oven to 350℉ In a bowl, flake the tuna with a fork and combine with the celery root, onion, and 1 teaspoon oregano. Add the mayonnaise and lemon juice, mix well. Toast the english muffins and top each slice with the tomatoes, followed by the tuna salad and the cheese, and season with additional oregano. Place the sandwiches in the oven and remove once the cheese is melted. Serve open faced.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

In this instance, I think I would bite the bullet, throw the can out unless you can get a refund from your grocery store.  I am a firm believer in "better safe than sorry".  In this case, since this is your source for protein, I would purchase a different can and brand of tuna and toss the Bumble Bee until this recall has subsided and not run the risk of getting ill.  Again, this is IMHO.

Honored Contributor

this is the brand of tuna i buy by  the case.

i am not scared to eat it at all.

a bit expensive, but worth it.

https://www.gourmetfoodworld.com/images/Product/large/flott-tuna-ventresca-in-olive-oil-1S-600.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't buy any tuna processed and caught in Asia.  Period!

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp Thank you for the detailed explanation.  Appreciate it!

Honored Contributor

Re: Tuna fish lovers

[ Edited ]

@Shopster3 wrote:

Does Costco carry a "very low sodium" canned tuna?

@Shopster3 I am a big fan of Costco tuna too.  I have bought other brands but this is my favorite.

eta:  sorry I misread your post Shopster3.  I just looked at the can and it appears there are 180mg of sodium per serving (or maybe per can as I can't find exactly what they define as being a "serving").  I personally don't find it salty at all and again very delicious.

Honored Contributor

I have read bad reviews lately about Costo White Albacore Tuna and people are complaining that recently bought cans is filled with tuna that is brown and awful.  Anyone experienced this?

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have read bad reviews lately about Costo White Albacore Tuna and people are complaining that recently bought cans is filled with tuna that is brown and awful.  Anyone experienced this?

@Sooner to be honest I have not bought a can in a while as it's just me but if this was the case I would take it back to Costco and get a full refund with no problems.  I hope this isn't true as I am down to my last can and was planning on stocking up on my next trip . . . Smiley Sad

Potential bummer.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

I just googled "Costco tuna complaints" and found nothing.

All I can say is we've never had any problem with their tuna, and I'm really picky about pure looking tuna.