Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe

Me and a co-worker were talking about tuna late last week.  He was telling me he doesn't eat canned tuna at all.  I told him I stopped buying it because it doesn't taste that great to me.  So he told me to make my own.  I thought he was crazy.  Lol.  So he told me how to make it.  I purchased a 1 lb. piece of tuna (yellow fin), grilled it to perfection with olive oil and a little butter, added some seasonings and proceeded to make fresh tuna salad.  I chopped up some sweet onion, a little bit of fresh celery and added some fresh avacado and a bit of mayo.  WOW.  I can't believe how good this tuna is! 

Now I understand why he doesn't eat canned!  Although fresh tuna sure is pricey!!  But I have to admit, it is worth it Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@momtochloe

Me and a co-worker were talking about tuna late last week.  He was telling me he doesn't eat canned tuna at all.  I told him I stopped buying it because it doesn't taste that great to me.  So he told me to make my own.  I thought he was crazy.  Lol.  So he told me how to make it.  I purchased a 1 lb. piece of tuna (yellow fin), grilled it to perfection with olive oil and a little butter, added some seasonings and proceeded to make fresh tuna salad.  I chopped up some sweet onion, a little bit of fresh celery and added some fresh avacado and a bit of mayo.  WOW.  I can't believe how good this tuna is! 

Now I understand why he doesn't eat canned!  Although fresh tuna sure is pricey!!  But I have to admit, it is worth it Smiley Happy

Wow, this is interesting @Qshopper1991, may I ask where you are located as I live in the Chicagoland area and fresh fish is not always as abundant as it may be in other parts of the country plus to the be honest I don't know if I can afford it.  I know Costco has fresh tuna so maybe I need to synch up my tuna cravings with when I go shopping . . . Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe

Hey MTC!!  No worries....I live in South Jersey.  I shop at Whole Foods.  Do they have a Whole Foods where you live?  If not, check out Costco's fresh fish.  Even if you buy 1/2 lb.  Give it a try.  I highly recommend fresh tuna salad over canned Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I buy this tuna:

welcome_img

To me, this is the best tuna I have ever found.  It's more like a tuna steak, actually.

Yes, it's more expensive, but I only open a can about twice a month, and one can lasts me 2-3 sandwiches or servings.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I love tuna.  I'm just concerned about the mercury in albacore.  I eat tuna out at almost every seafood restaurant--the ahi--I know that also has mercury, but I think the canned albacore may even be worse!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Re: Tuna fish lovers

[ Edited ]

I love tuna.  I'm just concerned about the mercury in albacore.  I eat tuna out at almost every seafood restaurant--the ahi--I know that also has mercury, but I think the canned albacore may even be worse!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Regular Contributor
I am also a fan of wild planet tuna.
Esteemed Contributor

I love tuna salad and get Genova at Costco.  While I have not heard of any recalls on tuna, I think that Costco stays on top of these issues and would have not only let customers know, but would have also pulled the tuna from the shelves.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I'm not going to worry about it, the recalls have been voluntary so it seems they're taking care of it.

I get the Kirkland white albacore tuna, they're good about recalling food if necessary.

Food contamination is so common now, all we can do is try to keep up with the news.

Bingo.

There have been no illnesses (last I heard) and this is an abundance of caution. I buy either Bumblebee White (the recall is for Light) or Geisha White.  Nothing is inherently wrong with the tuna itself, the issue is in the canning process, not done at Bumblebee.

This is apparently not new, either, but just a re-hash of announcements made in March.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

personally  the supermarket brands I have had the past year are what

I imagine cat food would look , smell and taste like.

I recently found Americantuna.com thy happen to stock it in a local market 

yes it's more money but well worth it !

it's the way tuna should be.