Esteemed Contributor

Trust: Given Freely or Earned

Do you trust new people easily and freely, or do you feel that trust is something to be earned?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trust: Given Freely or Earned

@YorkieonmyPillow Definitely earned, I have a terrible history of trusting the wrong people and have been hurt over and over!

Honored Contributor

Ahhhh!!!  One of the worst things you can do to me is to lie to me.  I get very upset at liars.

However, I also realize that if you back someone into a corner where they'll lie or do anything to get out of the situation, they will often lie.

Once a person lies to me, it is very, very difficult for me to trust them again.  They must earn it back and sometimes they just can't do it.  I have a terrible memory about most things, I don't usually hold grudges, but a grudge I will hold and never forget is to be lied to.

My daughtes are fully aware of that.  They learned very quickly to tell the truth and we move on.  It has been wonderful for our relationship because they've always known no matter what, Mom has their back, just don't lie about it.  It frees a person up for a better relationship to be able to know that if they say it, 'that's how it is'.

Honored Contributor

Trust I give until a reason not to trust is discerned, respect is earned.

Honored Contributor

I was too trusting in my younger days, I fear I've gone too far in the other direction. I don't trust easily.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trust in new acquaintances, I assume you mean.  I trust most people I meet but with limitations.  I trust that they are nice everyday people until they show me differently.  Now does that mean I'd trust them with my money or my life...no.  Now, while getting to know you, you let me down in some way, you have to earn future trust.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66I think you're a very wise person....Cat Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Trust, respect, love, great relationships are always earned.

Nothing is free.

If you can find someone in your life that can live up to that, as well as you living up to that, you are truly blessed.

Respected Contributor

I trust NO ONE unless they have earned my trust.

Valued Contributor

My entire working career has been in jobs where people lie as a matter of daily course. After being surprised a few times by "wow! never thought she/he would do something like that", I stopped being surprised by much, as human nature is what it is.
Now I live by "trust, but verify", which has been attributed mainly as a saying by Ronald Reagan, in reference to an old Russian proverb; however, the term was used for hundreds of years in Accounting. (Trust the numbers, but verify the math)