Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

We had a friend that when he was doing rotations during medical school he delivered babies.  This one particular woman giving birth was asked in the delivery room "what are you going to name your new baby girl?"  This is no joke, she said "Vag..... (the part of a female's body).  The people in the delivery room said "What did you say?"  She repeated it and then went on to say, I heard that word once and thought it was so pretty, I am naming my girl that.  Needless to say, they were all appalled.  This was in a very poor section of Detroit and when you think about it, it's pretty sad.

That is an old, racist urban legend debunked by Snopes.

Sad to see it repeated here. 

Omg really?  Good grief!!

Honored Contributor

I have lvd my whole life with "name" issues. 

My first name was so unpopular when I received it that records (vital statistics I guess) indicate than less than 1% of all female babies received it in the year I was born. It was a name my mother and father cafted from my grandmother's maiden name. NO ONE in the family ever called me by the correct name, because there were MANY other names in the family that sounded like my name but were much more familiar. 

Coupled with this was he fact that my last name was also a woman's first name, a NEVER ENDING struggle. 

"What's your name."

"Johanna Grace"

"Johanna Grace what?"

"Just Johanna Grace. My last name is 'Grace'". 

"Are you SURE?"  Etctcetcetcetcetcetc

Now, as an old lady, I use Johanna Grace with DH's last name as my legal signature, and I love the fact that my name came from both of my grandmas. But as a child?

NO! Just NO!

Valued Contributor

There was another one like the Vag story about a woman in the inner city who went to pick up a prescription for her son Lemonjello.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Trendy Baby Names

[ Edited ]

There's nothing wrong with wanting your child to have an unusual, unique name, but that doesn't mean it has to be weird.  Seriously, Appaloosa is a beautiful name for a horse, but not for a human being, LOL.  There are many other unusual options that would be much less cruel for the child.  Someone, please get that woman a baby book! :-)

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trendy Baby Names

[ Edited ]

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

We had a friend that when he was doing rotations during medical school he delivered babies.  This one particular woman giving birth was asked in the delivery room "what are you going to name your new baby girl?"  This is no joke, she said "Vag..... (the part of a female's body).  The people in the delivery room said "What did you say?"  She repeated it and then went on to say, I heard that word once and thought it was so pretty, I am naming my girl that.  Needless to say, they were all appalled.  This was in a very poor section of Detroit and when you think about it, it's pretty sad.

That is an old, racist urban legend debunked by Snopes.

Sad to see it repeated here. 

@mstyrion 1  and @Reba055  I am sorry to learn that this is an "urban legend".  When this was told to me by this doctor, I truely believed him and the story.  I didn't repeat it here to be racist (I don't believe that I even mentioned race in my account) or hurtful.  I was sharing, in this thread about naming children weird names, a story that I heard many years ago.  As I stated in my post, I thought it was a pretty sad situation.  If repeating a story that I thought was true is sad, please forgive me.  I thought I was just taking part in a conversation.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

I had a co-worker once whose last name was Kolar.  Her parents named her Pepsi.  She spent an inordinate amount of time explaining in all her business matters and personal introductions that she was not joking.

Respected Contributor

@qwarkster wrote:

I had a co-worker once whose last name was Kolar.  Her parents named her Pepsi.  She spent an inordinate amount of time explaining in all her business matters and personal introductions that she was not joking.

Wow, cruel parents.  If I were your co-worker, I would have changed my name to something similar, but more acceptable, like Patsy, or something else with a 'P'.  Then when I became an adult, I would change it legally.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

With all the beautiful names in the universe, why saddle a child with the name of a horse...pun intended. My name is so old that it is now popular again, with movie stars naming their girls Vivienne, Viviane, Vivian, etc. I never had a problem explaining my name to anyone, especially in my favorite country, France, where Viviane is a popular name, I gave my daughters normal names which they never have to spell or explain to anyone. Moon Unit, Apple, etc., to me borders on child abuse.

Respected Contributor

Will they name their next child Lipizzaner?

Respected Contributor

@DoneTryin Perhaps Andalusienne