Super Contributor

Many years ago, through my work, I met a lady named Velveeta.

Parents, please.....think about the lifetime consequences, including the impact on your child's whole psyche.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

@TeezNu wrote:

Many years ago, through my work, I met a lady named Velveeta.

Parents, please.....think about the lifetime consequences, including the impact on your child's whole psyche.

clearly, this was a name that never should have happened!

Occasional Contributor

I was watching Family Feud years ago, and one of the female contestant's names was Cowanus.  At least my friend's daughter is sticking to the name of the WHOLE horse, and not breaking it down into body parts.

Respected Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

OK, I have to confess....I've NEVER heard the name "Bathsheba" before.

@shoptilyadropagain  Bathsheba was the wife of King David in the Bible.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Trendy Baby Names

[ Edited ]

The new thing is having two first names, a middle name, and  hyphened last name

5 names to remember!.

Honored Contributor

@ShadyOasis wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

Back in the day when Lyndon Johnson was President his daughter Lucy had her name legally changed to Luci. For a while there following that mothers were often naming their newborn girls with an i on the end of their names where ordinarily there would be a y..... Luci, Nanci, Sheri, Brandi, Traci etc.

Ugh. Sherry and Brandy. Two more names destined to ensure the girls will grow up to be strippers or party girls.  You might as well name your kid Vodka.

You must not be that old. There were as many girls named Sherry/Sheri in the 50s and 60s as there were Susan, Nancy, etc. Brandi started in the 60s-70s. No one, then, every had your idea.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

With that name the kid better be good at running track.

It sounds like a name that an old Indian tribe would name a child.  Like Running Bear, Lone Wolf........

Respected Contributor

@ShadyOasis wrote:

Earlier today I had lunch with a friend who told me that her daughter is naming her first born daughter "Appaloosa."   I told her I thought it sounded like a disease that a chain of mountains gets.  Apparently it's a trendy new name, and she didn't want something traditional.  While I think it's rare that we hear children with names like Mildred, Bathsheba or Agatha anymore, I think there's something timeless about names like Ann, Elizabeth, Mary or Rose.  Did trend or tradition influence the naming of your kids?  

@ShadyOasis Didn't read all responses, but that name is just horrid. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Trendy Baby Names

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

The new thing is having two first names, a middle name, and  hyphened last name

5 names to remember!.

That's always been big in the South, as in Billy-Bob.

My sister worked while in college at a corporate personnel office.  One day she had to call from the crowded waiting area and interview a guy named.......ready?  True Love. There were reports she turned 50 shades of red.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

173836.gif837514213.gif283917.gif@ this whole thread.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif