Valued Contributor

What if the girl grows up to be a very large and heavy young lady. It would seem to me being named after a horse may open her to some cruel jokes.  There was a girl musician in the 80s by the name "Apalonia" I believe.  Are you sure that is not the name?

Esteemed Contributor

OK, I have to confess....I've NEVER heard the name "Bathsheba" before.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Occasional Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

What if the girl grows up to be a very large and heavy young lady. It would seem to me being named after a horse may open her to some cruel jokes.  There was a girl musician in the 80s by the name "Apalonia" I believe.  Are you sure that is not the name?

No, it's Appaloosa.  I just called her to tell her that her daughter is about to name her new granddaughter after a horse. She started screaming so loudly that I had to hold the phone away from my ear.  Enraged would be the right word to describe her reaction.  I heard her husband in the background.  He thought the phone cal was about someone dying.

Respected Contributor

@ShadyOasis wrote:

@Kardi wrote:

No, it's Appaloosa.  I just called her to tell her that her daughter is about to name her new granddaughter after a horse. She started screaming so loudly that I had to hold the phone away from my ear.  Enraged would be the right word to describe her reaction.  I heard her husband in the background.  He thought the phone cal was about someone dying.

If they like Appaloosa, they should make it the middle name and give the girl a more attractive first name.  I think that's generally the best way to go for ethnic or unusual names.  When I was growing up there was an Italian girl named Luana.  I had never heard of that name, but it was nice, so that's okay.  It all depends on how pleasant and easy to pronounce a name is in the context of the USA.  There are some Irish names that people dig up that are just bizarre even for those of us who are only here a generation or two from the old sod.  I think everyone knows which names are odd but pretty and easy to spell and pronounce and which are not. 

Honored Contributor

I used traditional names for both of my kids, and my son now has two twin newborns who also have traditional names.  No one in our family is named after fruit or animals! 

I saw an article online last week, about the most popular names for pets, and people are now using what used to be considered "human" names, for their animals. Some of the popular names for pets are Lucy and Oliver.  I guess this is okay.....but I have to admit I was really surprised to hear a woman I saw on the trail, address her dog as "Robert"!

Honored Contributor

@ShadyOasis wrote:

I'm definitely going to tell my friend what an Appaloosa is, but I haven't decided if I should text her or tell her over the phone.  Part of me wants to just text her, but I kind of want to hear her reaction over the phone.  If she throws a fit, which I suspect she will, I could have cause to tell her that her immediate reaction might be as big as others would have when they meet her.  This might encourage her to convince her daughter to change her mind.

@ShadyOasis  Why don't you email her a picture?  One picture is worth a thousand words.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Just wait until that child has to start spelling it's name!  Good grief!

My daughters have given their daughters beautiful (I think) names.

My one granddaughter is named Madeleine  Beautiful name, right?  My daughter decided to spell it the French way, I don't know.

Anyway, we call her Maddie.  She knows her name and she's very, very smart.  However, I thought it was so funny when she was 6 years old I said, "Maddie, how do you spell your real name"?  She says, "Grandma.  I don't know and I don't care.  My Mom gave me that name.  One day I will remember it."

I thought that was so funny!  She's now 8 years old and can spell her 'real' name but seldom does.  She's known by everyone as Maddie.

My daugher's name is Kathryn but most people don't even know her name, (she's Katie to everyone).  My sister's real name is Carolyn but no one (I mean no one knows that).  She goes by her middle name.

So, I guess it doesn't matter.  But I go back to my first sentence....."How is the kid ever going to learn how to spell that name"?

Respected Contributor

The grandmother to be didn't know it is a breed of horse?? Wow!

So it is so far fetched that the daughter doesn't either?

Her reaction is a bit much.

Occasional Contributor

@Melania wrote:

The grandmother to be didn't know it is a breed of horse?? Wow!

So it is so far fetched that the daughter doesn't either?

Her reaction is a bit much.

I didn't know Appaloosa was a horse breed, either.  I know nothing about horses, clearly.

Valued Contributor

Oh well maybe in a few years we will all be amazed at the fact that in any given kindergarten class around the country there will be at least  3  Appaloosas.