Occasional Contributor

Earlier today I had lunch with a friend who told me that her daughter is naming her first born daughter "Appaloosa."   I told her I thought it sounded like a disease that a chain of mountains gets.  Apparently it's a trendy new name, and she didn't want something traditional.  While I think it's rare that we hear children with names like Mildred, Bathsheba or Agatha anymore, I think there's something timeless about names like Ann, Elizabeth, Mary or Rose.  Did trend or tradition influence the naming of your kids?  

Respected Contributor

When I was a teen, there was a song that was popular with the name CarrieAnn in it.  I just loved that name and always knew I would name my daughter that, and I did.  My favorite boy's name was David and I named my son that.  My third was a boy and I couldn't choose between Paul and Chris.  I had to see him first.  He looked more like a "Paul" if that makes any sense.

Smiley Wink

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

I think Appoloosa is a kind of horse? (sorry). My daughter names her first daughter Evangeline, she had twin girls last August and their names are: Vivienne and Seraphina. She likes "old fashioned" type names. I wasn't crazy about Evangeline, but it has grown on me and I find it very pretty - I do feel sorry for those kids when it comes to printing out their names!

Respected Contributor

Our youngest granddaughter now 7 months is named Marigold after a child in the Dowton Abbey show. We love it and of course adore her.

Respected Contributor

Some trendy names can be interesting. 

Sometimes older, historical names become trendy.

My preference is for old fashioned names.  A neighbor down the street named her daughter Violet.  I like that.  (I don't think it's because of Downton, but I'm not sure!)

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I guess it's okay if you don't mind your kid being nicknamed "Appy" which is what fanciers call appaloosa horses.  Then there will be lifetime references to her being horse-like in different ways, and of course there's the spotted issue.  I think parents open their kids to ridicule and bullying when they give them silly names like this.

2016-04-30 16.47.29.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A former co-worker's grandaughter was named Anjou, it is also a type of pear.  Different strokes I guess.

Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

Some trendy names can be interesting. 

Sometimes older, historical names become trendy.

My preference is for old fashioned names.  A neighbor down the street named her daughter Violet.  I like that.  (I don't think it's because of Downton, but I'm not sure!)

Maybe they were fans of "Keeping Up Appearances":  "You know my sister Violet, drives a Mercedes and has room for a pony."

Occasional Contributor

Re: Trendy Baby Names

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I guess it's okay if you don't mind your kid being nicknamed "Appy" which is what fanciers call appaloosa horses.  Then there will be lifetime references to her being horse-like in different ways, and of course there's the spotted issue.  I think parents open their kids to ridicule and bullying when they give them silly names like this.

2016-04-30 16.47.29.png

I don't know if I should tell my friend what an Appaloosa really is.  I didn't realize it was a horse. The poor little girl.  She's always going to get teased about being a horse. Back in the 80's names that ended with an "ee" sound were very trendy.  I had a friend who had triplet girls that she named Trixie, Misty and Brittney.  I thought to myself how these poor girls would be destined to become strippers, and sure enough, one of them did. 

Honored Contributor

By all means tell your friend this is a breed of horse and she can pass the info to her daughter without judgment.  Who knows, maybe that's why she chose it.  She can name the next one Pinto.   Being married to a John, I'm kind of sorry our generation had to pick the name of a saint if you were Catholic.  Way too common.