Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle   I am truly v sorry for your loss.  such a tragic day.  A sick hateful person took those lives - unfortunately there are far too many of his ilk among us.   I'm glad he got the death sentence.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lakelife62    I hear what you're saying but  I am torn.  People like this don't deserve to live and breathe. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lgfan   What kind of country would we have if that was allowed to happen?  No thank you

Respected Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@lgfan   What kind of country would we have if that was allowed to happen?  No thank you

Allow what to happen?

Honored Contributor

Re: Tree of Life shooter

[ Edited ]

You are so right. There is no death penalty in Pennsylvania.

@Carmie
The death penalty means nothing in Pennsylvania.  We  haven't had a Governor for years that will sign for the exacution to be carried out.

"In 2018, a gunman walked into the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh’s Squirrel Hill neighborhood and murdered 11 Jewish people as they worshipped, in the deadliest act of antisemitism in our nation’s history. 

It’s hard to imagine a more heinous crime than murdering 11 people as they pray.  

And candidly, my first reaction was that the killer deserved to be put to death. 

Over time, however, my belief on this topic has evolved. 

I’ve spoken to victims, to families, to advocates, and to community leaders. 

I listened to the members of the Tree of Life community and was blown away by their courage and their fortitude.  

They told me, that even after all the pain and anguish, they did not want the killer put to death.   

He should spend the rest of his life in prison they said, but the state should not take his life as punishment for him taking the lives of their loved ones."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Only on death penalty cases are potential jurors required to be pro death penalty.

No one expected this jury to vote for life without parole. The trial was just  expensive theater.

All those under attack had the legal right to defend themselves and shoot Bowers. I would have. I just don't want my government executing prisoners.

When European countries have outlawed executions,  it makes our country appear uncivilized.

I doubt any of the parishioners had guns with them during the service to be able to defend themselves!

I've never heard of a juror having to be pro death penalty, even on a case where that would be a possible sentence.  Perhaps it's unique to Pennsylvania?  (I presume the jury could've decided on life with no parole?)

And sorry, but the trial was the choice of the victims' loved ones - to give them the justice and closure they needed.  It wasn't just theater.

We can agree to disagee on all of these points.  Just curious:  if the victims' loved ones had accepted his plea, with no trial, would that have taken the possibility of the death penalty off the table?  If so, I understand why they insisted on a trial.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This idea of the people being attacked having the right to shoot the criminal and defend themselves, makes me wonder about going back to the days of the wild west.

Everyone packing a gun and shooting a criminal instead of involving the police and the court system.  Going to church?  Grocery shopping?  Fun day out with the family?  Pack a gun, an AR-15, a rifle, just to be on the safe side.  (Hopefully, the wrong person won't be shot.)

Hmmm.  Perhaps those days will return.  

-----

I am so done with this topic.  And I fully support the sentence in this case.  But perhaps death by firing squad would be more appropriate.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The accused offered to wave his right to a trial and plead guilty, but family members of the victims wanted him executed and the DA couldn't refuse if he wanted to be re-elected in future. 

This demon, who I refuse to give breath to his name, was charged with 63 Federal charges. There was no local county DA involvement. This was in the hands of Federal prosecutors.  Suggesting an election comes in to play, to me, minimizes the severity of the crimes.

There is also no such thing as a pro death penalty jury. Jurors are asked if they could keep an open mind, based on the evidence and if found guilty, would they be open to consider the death penalty. These jurors consider 115 mitigating factors before rendering their verdict.

And unrelated, there is still currently a death penalty option in Pennsylvania and under heinous special circumstances someone can be convicted and sentenced to the death penalty for PA state charges. The past and current governor's personal decision is to place a moratorium on signing any death warrants during their term.

Honored Contributor

This jury deliberated a mere 10 hours for a trial that took 37 days. Now they'll be appeals.

Had the plea been accepted, Bowers would be locked up for life, no parole, no  appeals, no revisiting of the event. He wouldn't get all the publicity and become infamous.

Honored Contributor

I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you here who offered such gracious notes of sympathy, it is much appreciated, and Oct 27, 2018 will never be forgotten in my family.