Trusted Contributor

The death penalty is totally appropriate in cases such as this where there is no doubt as to guilt. I had a feeling the jury wold come to this conclusion. The victims deserve no less.

Honored Contributor

The death penalty means nothing in Pennsylvania.  We  haven't had a Governor for years that will sign for the exacution to be carried out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tree of Life shooter

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

That trial cost a fortune, money that could have been put to better use.

The jury. Because everyone on it was pro death penalty and anyone who wasn't  pro was excuseed was biased.

So now we have Bower on death row, but there is a moratorium on the death penalty, so as long as it is in effect, there will be no executions in Pennsylvania.

@occasionalrain - How on earth would you know anything about the biases of the jurors?

Were you there during jury selection?  Did you listen to all the questions that were asked of each potential juror?  Read the forms each potential juror must have filled out?

I've been selected for jury duty in the past and no one, who was not in the juror pool, was allowed in the courtroom during this procedure.  No cell phones allowed either.

So where is your information coming from?

As to the cost:  every accused person has the right to a trial.  That's how the justice system works.

And I've just listened to the statements of the families of victims.  Although they said some members of the congregation didn't want the death penalty, the family members did.  They said they feel they have gotten justice.

A shame, if as you say, there's a moratorium on the death penalty in Pennsylvania, but perhaps that will change for such a horrific hate crime.  The trial, however, would've cost the same whatever the verdict and recommended sentence.

Respected Contributor

This is a federal case, so Pennsylvania's governor's moritorium on the death penalty does not apply.

"PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - Now that the jury has voted to impose the death penalty, Robert Bowers will likely be headed to the United States Penitentiary in Terre Haute, Indiana, more commonly known as federal death row. 

Of the 43 federal prisoners sentenced to death in this country, 42 are being held in Terre Haute without possibility of release, each spending their days alone in a 12-by-7 foot, single-inmate cell, waiting.  

Outside the prison walls, stands a small single-story building housing the death chamber with execution table and restraints. In the last six months of the Trump administration, the government executed 13 prisoners there by lethal injection.

None have been put to death under President Joe Biden and Attorney General Merrick Garland has instituted a moratorium but that could change."  From CBS news

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny  Thanks for the memories.

I have not heard KDKA in ages.  It brings back memories of listening to Pirate games and Bob Prince.

Allegheny was my county also.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor
It was a federal case because it was a hate crime, was labeled the deadliest act of antisemitism in US history.
"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

The accused offered to wave his right to a trial and plead guilty, but family members of the victims wanted him executed and the DA couldn't refuse if he wanted to be re-elected in future. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle May his memory be a blessing to all who knew him

@Shelbelle wrote:

My cousin was one of the ones killed, such a sweet guy he was, never hurt a soul, so hoping this will give his immediate family some type of solace. Been a long and rough almost 5 years. He left behind an infant grandson who will never know him. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The accused offered to wave his right to a trial and plead guilty, but family members of the victims wanted him executed and the DA couldn't refuse if he wanted to be re-elected in future. 

That doesn't mean the jurors are biased one way or the other.

The whole reason for jury selection is to make sure that the defendant receives a fair trial.

I'm sure many members on these boards have gone through jury selection or been on a jury.  Where I am, you are asked questions individually by lawyers from both sides and the judge to ensure that you have not already made up your mind or have no reason by which you cannot be impartial.

Lawyers on either side can reject any potential juror.

And the victims in any crime have rights, too.  That's how our justice system is supposed to work.

Honored Contributor

Only on death penalty cases are potential jurors required to be pro death penalty.

No one expected this jury to vote for life without parole. The trial was just  expensive theater.

All those under attack had the legal right to defend themselves and shoot Bowers. I would have. I just don't want my government executing prisoners.

When European countries have outlawed executions,  it makes our country appear uncivilized.