Trusted Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's - America's Favorite Grocery Store

@Moonchilde wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I do like Trader Joes a lot but the one near us has such a small parking area it is literally impossible to find a place to park no matter what time you go.

Same here.  There are two TJ's near me and both parking lots are much too small.  I wonder if that's intentional - surely, when TJ's plans a store, it can accurately forecast parking requirements - or just poor planning.  In either case, I lump it, with other examples, under "poor customer service."  

FWIW, TJs always seem to have "small", packed parking lots. They are not the same size in square footage as a large chain grocery, so why would their parking lots be the size of a much larger square footage store? That doesn't make sense.

The lots are packed because the stores are full of (happy) customers.

Poor customer service? Customer service is their best asset. Their employees are cheerful and helpful. They are well-paid and also financially invested in the company. They promote from within. Any of them will stop what they're doing and check anything for you, bring stock out from the warehouse, offer to put an arriving item aside for you. They always have multiple check-outs open. Everyone who shops there is in a good mood.

@MoonchildeThat is an excellent observation.  I guess having a full-fledge grocery store set-up - tall ceilings, lots of glass front freezers, spraying devices for produce,  fancy shelving ...  

Esteemed Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I do like Trader Joes a lot but the one near us has such a small parking area it is literally impossible to find a place to park no matter what time you go.

Same here.  There are two TJ's near me and both parking lots are much too small.  I wonder if that's intentional - surely, when TJ's plans a store, it can accurately forecast parking requirements - or just poor planning.  In either case, I lump it, with other examples, under "poor customer service."  

FWIW, TJs always seem to have "small", packed parking lots. They are not the same size in square footage as a large chain grocery, so why would their parking lots be the size of a much larger square footage store? That doesn't make sense.

The lots are packed because the stores are full of (happy) customers.

Poor customer service? Customer service is their best asset. Their employees are cheerful and helpful. They are well-paid and also financially invested in the company. They promote from within. Any of them will stop what they're doing and check anything for you, bring stock out from the warehouse, offer to put an arriving item aside for you. They always have multiple check-outs open. Everyone who shops there is in a good mood.

@MoonchildeThat is an excellent observation.  I guess having a full-fledge grocery store set-up - tall ceilings, lots of glass front freezers, spraying devices for produce,  fancy shelving ...  

Agreed they are not the same size as a regular grocery store. Aldis in our area isn't either (actually smaller) but they have plentiful parking and I have never had a problem parking there. It is in a completely different plaza though and I do think our builders who construct a lot of plazas around here have a lot to do with that depending on who the builders are, as I mentioned on a previous post.

I never imagined a post about grocery stores would cause such a commotion. I will say that depending on the list, it seems that Wegmans is still in the top of several. I think that is great seeing as how few states it is in (6 or 8) and it is always in the top 3. What I love about Wegmans that I miss so much that grocery stores down here do not have is an excellent produce, deli and bakery. There isn't one grocery store down here that bakes all of their breads, bagels, cookies, donuts and cakes here daily. Most have frozen cakes brought in and they decorate them. I was shocked when I came down here and couldn't find decent bread anywhere. I can't wait until ours is opened.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I do part of my shopping at Trader Joe's but I was a much bigger fan of the old Trader Joe's before the Germans bought it.  The prices were better and the items they carried were healthier - not so much candy, cookies, cookie butter, etc.  I still frequent Trader Joe's for cheese, nuts, dried fruit, dog biscuits and some condiments.

PS:  When I can't resist the frozen almond croissants!

The wide variety of sweets is why I don't shop at TJ's very often.  The coffe ice cream is my favorite.

I love that and the pumpkin ice cream. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Do any of you have Central Market or is that exclusive to TX?   I love Central Market - HUGE - the biggest selection of fresh produce I ever seen - bigger than Whole Foods....if I'm looking for specialty items like cheese/spices/teas/etc I go to this store....I just wish I had one closer to my home for convenience.  

Honored Contributor

Many times, I think small local chains that are only in restricted areas can do the best of all worlds. There's a chain that's only in Central Coast & Northern CA/Bay area and in Nevada called Nob Hill. It's a cross between Whole Foods, TJs and a larger chain. It has elements of all three types of market; it IS higher priced for "everyday" shoppers, but not way out of line.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

We shopped the first store in Marin County way back in the late 70s.  Couldn't wait for a store to open in San Francisco, which took some time.

Fast forward to 2009 in SoCal, where we were living at the time.  Loved TJ's Chicken Caesar Wrap (yes, made by a contracted food vendor) , so purchased one during our Saturday shopping rounds, which was not unusual.  TJ's was always our last stop, because it was closest to home.  Got home, put away the groceries and we both sat down to eat lunch.  Four hours later I became ill and spent hours in the bathroom.  This didn't stop.  DH went to Walgreens for bottles of Kaopectate and I made an appointment with my Internist after 3 days of this.  Bottom line:  After testing and biopsy, it was determined, by biopsy, that the wrap had caused microscopic colitis, which I had for 2.5 years, before it settled down.  My Internist reported the matter to the Health Dept.  We no longer shop at TJ's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Markets all seem to have problems with suppliers at time. I am always hearing recalls about products they all carry

My store that went out of business, never had any ,that I know of. They used different suppliers all name brands, and I never remember them having any issues.

I wouldn't put the blame on Trader Joes for what an outside supplier did. I have seen Trader Joes announce recalls on their fliers. If they weren't aware there was a problem, they sold it in good faith

They should have paid for your medical bills, at the very least

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

We shopped the first store in Marin County way back in the late 70s.  Couldn't wait for a store to open in San Francisco, which took some time.

Fast forward to 2009 in SoCal, where we were living at the time.  Loved TJ's Chicken Caesar Wrap (yes, made by a contracted food vendor) , so purchased one during our Saturday shopping rounds, which was not unusual.  TJ's was always our last stop, because it was closest to home.  Got home, put away the groceries and we both sat down to eat lunch.  Four hours later I became ill and spent hours in the bathroom.  This didn't stop.  DH went to Walgreens for bottles of Kaopectate and I made an appointment with my Internist after 3 days of this.  Bottom line:  After testing and biopsy, it was determined, by biopsy, that the wrap had caused microscopic colitis, which I had for 2.5 years, before it settled down.  My Internist reported the matter to the Health Dept.  We no longer shop at TJ's.

Anything like that happening to anyone is always regrettable, but it happens to many nationwide and local businesses every day, supermarkets, packing plants and restaurants, and is frequently in the news re: national mfg plants and the retailers they supply. It's rarely if ever the end seller's error.

I remember a few years ago, an ex-mayor of LA as a private citizen after he was no longer mayor bought a city landmark restaurant that's been in business close to 100 years and is on many tourist maps & guidebooks. It was closed for 24 hrs once by the City Health Dept for either rats or roaches, forget which. People couldn't wait until they reopened. Some things are just going to happen, they're not a mark of a terrible place.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I do part of my shopping at Trader Joe's but I was a much bigger fan of the old Trader Joe's before the Germans bought it.  The prices were better and the items they carried were healthier - not so much candy, cookies, cookie butter, etc.  I still frequent Trader Joe's for cheese, nuts, dried fruit, dog biscuits and some condiments.

PS:  When I can't resist the frozen almond croissants!

The wide variety of sweets is why I don't shop at TJ's very often.  The coffe ice cream is my favorite.

I love that and the pumpkin ice cream. 

mmmm - I eat nuts everyday - almonds or walnuts and bananas too.  The ice cream is very good too and cheese cake !  So cheap !

There are a lot of frozen foods that are fun for company.  I have been debating on getting some of the pet items for my Granddog.  

Contributor

I actually drive pretty far to get to Trader Joe's, and I go every week. Their customer service and the small size of the store, plus great prices for organic products, all won me over.