Honored Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's - America's Favorite Grocery Store

We don't have a TJ's anywhere near here, but it sounds interesting. My vote will have to go to Wegmans , if I had one in town , I would weigh 600 lbs. from eating their wonderful bread and bagels.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

We haven't got them close by. The few times I went out of my way to shop there I wasn't impressed with their meat or produce. They have delicious looking desserts in their bakery, though ...all the more reason for me to avoid them ... LOL

Honored Contributor

I go there about once a week but it is usually for the same stuff - bagged spinach, brussel sprouts, mushrooms. A lot cheaper than my local market.

Other items that I buy and leave in my freezer is the pot stickers, mandarin chicken and I don't buy prepared frozen meals from the supermarket, go figure.

Their chocolate is inexpensive and from Belgium, can't beat that.

I'm not crazy about my local supermarkets but I don't think of TJ as a grocery store as much as fast eats. I do like their produce.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Most if the grocery stores on that list including Traders Joes is not in the area where I live. I have never even heard of them.

i don't know where that poll was taken, but it certainly wasn't in Pennsylvania.

@Carmie

There are three in Penn:  Englishtown, State College and Jenkintown?  I may not have that last one correct.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201@My son has sprouts and it is one of his favourite stores I went once.We have Trader Joe's and I remember telling my son that I wished we had Sprouts.I think they had great produce and health products but little meat choices.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I do like Trader Joes a lot but the one near us has such a small parking area it is literally impossible to find a place to park no matter what time you go.

Same here.  There are two TJ's near me and both parking lots are much too small.  I wonder if that's intentional - surely, when TJ's plans a store, it can accurately forecast parking requirements - or just poor planning.  In either case, I lump it, with other examples, under "poor customer service."  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

They surveyed people across the country but some of these stores are not all across the country. Publix & Wegmans are both stores that are inb only small areas of the country - publix in the SE & wegmans in the NE.I did not even recognize the name of some of the stores mentioned.  Anyway , IMO, it is not an accurate survey since Trader Joes is much more familiar across the country than the other stores.

Also Trader Joes is not a full out grocery store like the others. You couldn't make your grocery list for a weeks shopping and go there and find everything on the list.But I can do that at Publix or Wegmanns.

Of course you can make a week's list from TJs. I do it often.  Fresh salads last week, fennel bulbs to roast, green beans, all fresh.  Grass fed hamburger, salmon, teriyaki chicken, cod, tamales for DH, my cereal, my almond milk, Greek yogurt, pretzel bread, on and on.

Honored Contributor

My vote goes to #2 on the list, Publix. I love that store. We have several close to us, but the closest is a training store. It's large and it's just excellent. 

I've been to Trader Joe's twice. It took me two trips to spend a gift card. It was nice enough, but I don't like making multiple stops to get my grocery shopping done. And I was unfamiliar with the products. I'm not a very adventurous eater so I wasn't sure what to get there. 

I do remember buying a few mini angel food cakes. My husband liked them, but not enough to make a special trip to get them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I vote for "Other", I prefer to shop regional chains.

Honored Contributor

@jpie, you know Aldi's and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company.

Aldi's was just starting to move into my area when I moved hundreds of miles, so I missed out. One day, there may be one within an hour's drive from me and I can check it out. I really want to!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all