Respected Contributor

Re: Toaster Oven....Do you own one, and if so, how much do you use it?

Always had a toaster oven. I currently have the compact Breville for 3 years, but now I've noticed some uneven browning and may need to replace the back element. I use it nearly everyday.

Wolf has now come out with one at a big price tag. 

Honored Contributor

I've had the Breville for a couple of years and it's the best toaster oven I've had in 40 years. For me, it makes better toast than a toaster. I use it almost every day for so many things. As for counter space, I don't keep mine on the kitchen counter.

If you really don't know if you would use one much, I'd buy a cheap one to see if you like it at all. If you like it but feel it doesn't do some things all that well, then consider the Breville, as it is truly like your stove oven in miniature as far as build quality and function.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Sue98

Bought the Breville toaster oven that Q has and hated it. It was hard to clean. extremely hot on the outside and took up a huge amount of space. Also got rid of an older microwave and bought the NuWave. I love it.
Very easy to clean, smaller profile- got the white and it seems to disappear into my white walls.
It is not  expensive. Cant say it is top of the line but all parts go into the dishwasher. It is very versatile and fun to play with.  Will make all of the items you listed and much more.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have toaster oven but I have the Breville smart oven. I have the large size but they make three or four sizes. I originally purchased this to bake pies in for the holidays or the extra rack that you need and don't have. We use this thing all the time in the evenings for snacks and on the weekends for popcorn. It does great for pizza and dough products. I love it for frozen Stouffers, etc. The new versions of the "toaster oven" are great. They cook faster and more evenly. The clean up is a breeze.

Respected Contributor

I have one that is large enough everything I bake.  I haven't used my regular oven in over 10 years.I use it to store pots and pans.

Respected Contributor

I just got the Breville XL oven for Christmas.  I wanted one that would fit a 9x11 dish for the few times a year when I am kicking myself for not getting a double oven.  I don't know what type of 9x11 with absolutely no type of edge to grab on to would fit in there.  None of my dishes even came close.  Plus, I would have had to store it in the basement which means I would never use it other than those few times a year.  I've survived without one this long; I returned it.

Valued Contributor

I love the inexpensive but reliable Black & Decker! It gets used every weekend for English muffins or mini-pizzas, and then occasionally for smaller items that don't require a large pan. In the winter I don't mind using the oven, but in the summer I'd rather heat up the toaster oven. It stays on the counter full-time, and we no longer have a regular toaster.  The microwave gets used less b/c of the toaster oven. Generally, toasted things are tastier than nuked.

Contributor

I have 2!  One in Maine and one in Florida.  We use a toaster oven pretty much every day.  The are both Delonghi convection.  They are each large enough for my largest Corning-ware casserole dishes.  The one in Florida is stored in the bottom shelf of the pantry.  The one in Maine is kept in the oven, so no counter space issue.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We bought our last one about 30 years ago, and have lived happily without for 25 years without one.  Our oven works fine, and does anyhing that will do--probably for less money in the long run.  It doesn't cost that much to run an oven.  We do have a sall toaster that works fine and we use it a lot.

I would much rather have the oven and the counter space.

@Sooner

This is how my DH feels.  He says a regular toaster, oven, and microwave is all we need.  He never had one, but my parents did all the years they lived so I guess I was used to having one.  I have survived without one for our 18 years of marriage.  Maybe I should ask for one for our 19th anniversary? Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

We bought our last one about 30 years ago, and have lived happily without for 25 years without one.  Our oven works fine, and does anyhing that will do--probably for less money in the long run.  It doesn't cost that much to run an oven.  We do have a sall toaster that works fine and we use it a lot.

I would much rather have the oven and the counter space.

@Sooner

This is how my DH feels.  He says a regular toaster, oven, and microwave is all we need.  He never had one, but my parents did all the years they lived so I guess I was used to having one.  I have survived without one for our 18 years of marriage.  Maybe I should ask for one for our 19th anniversary? Smiley Wink

Nah.  Ask for jewelry, clothes, or a night out.