Respected Contributor

To Retire an Inground Pool without filling it in - Deckover

Trusted Contributor

Re: To Retire an Inground Pool without filling it in - Deckover

Thanks, kittywhipped.  I watched the video and ask them to send me a quote for the deck over.  I was the one who found the house I love but do not want the expense, maintenance, and worry of having an in ground pool.  The owners of the house have taken wonderful care of the pool and recently spent $16,000 on landscaping around the house and the pool, but with the deckover, it still would look nice.

I'll just have to wait and see what they send back for an estimate. Again, thank you.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're welcome.  Smiley Happy  Please let me know what price they quoted.  Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Kittywhipped:  They already responded.  They do not work in this area yet and therefore I did not get an estimate/quote.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

Kittywhipped:  They already responded.  They do not work in this area yet and therefore I did not get an estimate/quote.

Wismiss, ask them if they can recommend someone in your area who could give you a quote.  They are in the business so they should know.  LM

Respected Contributor

That's pretty cool.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

In my area we have a landscape/nursery that will fill in your pool or garden pond to remake it into flat water feature. We are going to fill in our small garden pond.

The pool/pond is filled with black farm tile and then back filled with small pebbles along with a  pump...it is flat and you can also walk on it....you attach a water feature such as an urn or a birdbath (water will spill out or thru the urn to make a really pretty water feature.  The water circulates thru the tile and up thru the urn or other feature you have chosen...There is no maintenance, which is what we are looking for. They company told us that a lot of people are going this route instead of filling in their pool, it is less expensive. 

We did have an above ground pool...we enjoyed it when we were younger but there was a lot of maintenance so we sold it and reseeded the yard.

Respected Contributor

rent it out (dry, of course) as a practice ramp for skate board enthusiasts, lol.

Respected Contributor

Very interesting!!  I'm wondering where the rain water would settle?  I have a trex deck and the planks are not water tight.  Wouldn't the rain runoff seep between the planks and start accumulating in the pool?   Unless some kind of permanent seal or barrier is placed under the decking, seems to me it could cause potential issues down the road.   Might be good questions to ask the contractors before making any decisions.. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

We filled our pool in almost five years ago and couldn't be happier. We then covered it with rock to match the front landscape. No grass on our property for us. Anyway we had those people you named over to give us an estimate and I think it was around $6,000. I didn't know they were still in business because I haven't heard them advertising for a long time. I also looked them up and they don't do that many in a year so it's not a very convincing idea in my eyes. The pool still gets damaged beyond belief. They say all you have to do is take the stuff off if you want to use your pool again. Not true. The rain water, dirt, bugs etc still get in and the walls of the pool will crack because of the heat so you will then have to spend big bucks repairing the pool and its equipment. Plus if you ever sell your house you will have to fix up the pool because no one will buy your house with a pool that is in that condition. Best bet, fill it in. Saves lots of money, costs about the same. Someone told me they knew of someone who made their pool into a wine cellar. Now that would be cool.