Honored Contributor

Re: To All The Nature Lovers Out There....

Hi Homegirl!  Yup, those are the polka-dot birdies!  Smiley Happy   They are so pretty and they are so funny when they are bathing.  Their hair gets all spikey and I love to get those pics.

I see the one on the right doesn't have a polka-dotted tummy.   Is that one a girl and the other one a boy?

Respected Contributor

I totally agree that such simple pleasures are the best. I saw my first quail family of the season this week, tiny fluff balls running after their parents. Nothing cuter. I'm also watching the DCeaglecam and those babies are big now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928, I am with you 100%, being a true nature lover. I feed all kinds of birds and the squirrels. Yesterday a couple of young deer showed up on the property across the street from me, which happens about once a year. When a baby squirrel (s) is born, I am in heaven watching it grow. My scrub jays coming flying, when they see me outside ~ they love peanuts. Nature is truly God's playground.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 - Have you ever tried putting out a Hummingbird feeder? If you have birdfeeders, just keep them filled and they will come!! LOL 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hi Homegirl!  Yup, those are the polka-dot birdies!  Smiley Happy   They are so pretty and they are so funny when they are bathing.  Their hair gets all spikey and I love to get those pics.

I see the one on the right doesn't have a polka-dotted tummy.   Is that one a girl and the other one a boy?

Hi @chickenbutt

I got the photo on the right from this site: https://utahbirds.org/birdsofutah/BirdsD-K/EuropeanStarling.htm

It's the bird in summer plumage.  More info here.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/European_Starling/id

Have fun with all the birds.  I love watching them, too.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@riley1 wrote:

@Kachina624 - Have you ever tried putting out a Hummingbird feeder? If you have birdfeeders, just keep them filled and they will come!! LOL 

@riley1  Yes some years I do put out feeders for the hummers.  We don't have as many as higher altitudes but a few.  I quit feeding birdseed because they were attracting mice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

nice post op :-)  I love the outdoors,and am fortunate to live in the mountains. I have assorted wildlife that visits daily...

Honored Contributor

I love being out in the woods. That is so calming. I guess it puts size in perspective and I say to myself, "God's the greatest artist of all".

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your wonderful responses!  It would be so nice if we were all neighbors! 

Today my husband and I went to a native plant sale in our town.  This takes place once a year and is always a huge success.  As usual, I bought more than I thought I would but couldn't resist.  The plants are priced low and do incredibly well ~ I guess I know what I'm doing the next few days, lol!!!

I wish all of you a wonderful weekend!  It's cold and raining here but that's okay ~ the garden needs the water and the birds are still singing!  :-)

Respected Contributor

Count me in as one who also loves nature. Heart It is the simple things that bring so much pleasure.

Awhile back I sold my long-term home, made the big, cross country move, and ended up in Arizona. What may've been a difficult or even traumatic experience was made enjoyable by the birds that're here!

Since I live in a migratory path (who knew??), it's a birdie lover's paradise! You never know what you're going to see. As a result, I love it here.

I DO wish we were all neighbors & could stand at the back fence and talk, as my family members are sick & tired of getting birds pictures. My sis calls me Koo-Koo the Bird Girl. LOL!

Muddling through...