Esteemed Contributor

Re: Those little plastic cards we all have. . .

I only have 2 cc's and 1 debit card. I only carry 1 cc with ne for emergencies. It stays in a secure compartment in my vehicle.

I don't carry my cc in my wallet into work. My office is open & others are in & out all day. 

I've gone to cash withdrawals & use cash at the gas station & grocery. Great budgeting tool.

Honored Contributor

I too use Paypal online wherever it's available, instead of giving my individual card #s to websites.

My bank told me that most of the time currently (as opposed to a few years ago, when it was largely gas pumps that were the culprit) it's from online use. It was in my case. All it takes is one dishonest employee in an otherwise honest business.I now often use my ATM debit card as a regular CC in person, requiring a signature, not as a debit card. Also, although I'd rather not, I use my CCs for online purchases instead of the debit card. You are more protected for loss if it's not caught.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

The thing that no one addresses during the RFID shows here on the Q is, when using a RFID credit card in a store at that point it's not protected in your RFID purse or RFID sleeves/cards, and that will be the time someone will skim your information.  Someone could be standing behind you in line or near the cash registers, and when you take out your credit card to pay, could skim all the information because you've removed it from the RFID protection.  None of the hosts or people selling these items ever talk about that.  I understand RFID wallets protect your card while walking around stores, traveling, and dining, etc, when you're not actually using your card, but they are not protected at the critical point when you're actually using the card to complete a transaction. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have any cards that have RFID chips so I don't use special wallets or card holders. 

I've never had a card # stolen but, somehow my SS# was used once and someone used it for scamming the IRS. Took a year to straighten that out. All I can think is that someone working at a medical office or in HR at an employer's office stole it. It is not something used at many places.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the RFID presentations are nothing more than fear-mongering...

Honored Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

The thing that no one addresses during the RFID shows here on the Q is, when using a RFID credit card in a store at that point it's not protected in your RFID purse or RFID sleeves/cards, and that will be the time someone will skim your information.  Someone could be standing behind you in line or near the cash registers, and when you take out your credit card to pay, could skim all the information because you've removed it from the RFID protection.  None of the hosts or people selling these items ever talk about that.  I understand RFID wallets protect your card while walking around stores, traveling, and dining, etc, when you're not actually using your card, but they are not protected at the critical point when you're actually using the card to complete a transaction. 

I would hope everyone knows that already.  There are a lot of stories out there where waiters skim the card when someone uses it to pay.

The wallet is not going to save us except when people near us have a scanner, I would hope everyone knows that.

My credit number was stolen once.  There are criminals that have thousands of card numbers and info and sell them online.  They get them when they are printed. That's what my bank told me when my acct number was stolen.

Honored Contributor

Spoiler

I have never heard of any bank emailing people about that type of thing.  Never happened to me but when my bff's credit card was stolen (she didn't even know it had been stolen) and the bank noticed suspicious activity on it, they called her to verify the purchases and when she said it wasn't her they suspended the card and she had to go into the bank the next day.  However, I'm pretty sure "little metal cardholders" can't protect you from credit card fraud.....high tech or low tech.  I haven't bought any of those RIFD cards yet, I probably should but the people I know who have had credit theft issues were scanned, someone stole the actual credit card.

Respected Contributor

Honestly it is what it is.

I do not think anybody is walking past my trying to scan my cards.  I think the few times I had my cards replaced was data breech through computers.  I had a credit card replaced not long ago with a 'standard' data breech letter but it must of not been too important as the letter said the new cards were being processed and my old one was still good til the 15th of that month..giving me two weeks more..

Respected Contributor

My CC was compromised a few weeks ago, but my bank caught it. It was still a PITA to deal with. I do carry a Travelon crossbody bag with built in RFID slots and a slash proof strap. I really like the bag a lot. I would give an item number, but it's not showing when I try to pull it up. Every time they get them in stock, they sell out right away. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Adding a question to your question or comment. 

RFID protection:  I have the new chips on my card.  I am not sure the RFID protection is necessary. Does anyone know.  I understand about the OLD cards, but the new ones, doesn't seem to need them.  

I also have a few new chip cards. I did not think they used RFID but I found this. Sounds like they have to be really close to you to get your info but it's not impossible.

What the Heck Is This Computer Chip Doing in My Credit Card? - 

Back to the magic chip reader question. Is it possible to read the data on an EMV chip from a distance? The short answer is “not likely.” EMV cards do use RFID. Similar to AM and FM radio bands, EMV chips utilize specific bands to communicate. It’s called Near Field Communication (NFC). NFC radio signals degrade very quickly, and as a result, they can only be transmitted within a very short distance, measured in centimeters. The requirement of close proximity practically eliminates the risk of a device communicating with an EMV chip from a distance.

https://www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com/blog/2015/02/22/what-the-heck-is-this-computer-chip-doing-in...