Honored Contributor

Those little plastic cards we all have. . .

Yesterday my bank card was compromised. The bank e-mailed me, and someone had made purchases originating from Beijing and a number of places in the states. We got it straightened out, but now I'm going to be extra cautious.

A while back I ordered these little metal cardholders from here. (I'm not sure if they're available any longer, but our local Hallmark has them.) I use them for mostly organizing - shopping membership cards in one, restaurant cards in another, but after yesterday I put my bank card in one.

So which cards do you think are important to protect (all plastic):

Bank cards - obviously

Bank credit cards - same

Gas cards

Department store credit cards

Membership cards - to EVERYTHING! 

What do you use? Do you use an RFID wallet? TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Those little plastic cards we all have. . .

I had my ATM card compromised twice in 7-8 months. I learned the hard way to NOT use it ONLINE. My bank caught it both times. Such a PIT*. 

I bought the cardboard covers, but honestly I found them a real pain - they won't fit every card, and they definitely won't fit in all wallet slots. The more you use them, they also get a bit dinged up.

So when QVC had the two-size set of RFID wallets, I bought them. No worries now, no fit issues. I much prefer the wallets to the cardboard holders.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I think most cards being compromised is not due to them being scanned but they pick up the info some other way.  I've had it happen a couple times, caught by my bank and only a small amount was taken apparently as a trial.  They were also Asian companies that I'd never heard of.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I use one card specifically for online orders. 

I don't use the ATM, and I pay with cash at the gas station.

I don't have an RFID wallet or card holder. 

Honored Contributor

None of my cards have an RFID chip, so I don't use an RFID wallet or RFID sleeves.

If I ever do get an RFID card, I will take those protective measures but right now I am now worried.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's scary ! What a pain - sorry this happened to you. I only carry in my wallet 1 credit card and 1 debit card that use only for ATM withdrawals. I am so paranoid when I take money out, even if the machine has that extended cover up thing over the keypad, I still cup my hand over the other hand when entering my pin.

Esteemed Contributor

Adding a question to your question or comment. 

RFID protection:  I have the new chips on my card.  I am not sure the RFID protection is necessary. Does anyone know.  I understand about the OLD cards, but the new ones, doesn't seem to need them.  

Trusted Contributor

I use the RFID wallets and both our banks call if anything questionable is charged and dont let anything go through until they speak with us. One of my banks I have to call them if I go away on a trip or my card wont work out of the area. I use PayPal if paying for anything online. Many of the scammers and those who steal identities and cards are from China, the very same place that practically owns the USA and also where most items we now purchase are made. That should alarm and also infuriate most people!

Honored Contributor

I bought the wallet where the entire wallet is protected, that way you don't have to worry about which ones to protect and you can still see all your cards.

Honored Contributor

This is the set I got.  I gave one to my daughter, kept one for myself.

Choice of colors:

Travelon RFID Embroidered Wallet Set - F11914

F11914

$28 for both.

http://www.qvc.com/Travelon-RFID-Embroidered-Wallet-Set.product.F11914.html?sc=F11914-SRCH&cm_sp=VIE...