Honored Contributor

This week. Highest global temperatures in 100,000 years

[ Edited ]

First of all, I'm writing about the highest average global temperatures in at least 100,000 years occurring this week.*
The global average daily temperature climbed to 17.23 C or 63.01 F according to the University of Maine's Climate Reanalyzer. This reanalyzer gets its data from the U.S. National Centers for Environmental Prediction. Monday's temperature was the highest since the data began being kept in 1979. As for worldwide average temps, on Thursday. It reached 17.23 C or 63.01 F. The European Union uses the Copernicus Climate Change Service and they said their records were broken for as far back as they keep them, 1940. 
Senior scientist Jennifer Francis at Woodwell Climate Research Center *estimated that this week's temps are the hottest in the last 100,000 years. Scientists use climate data from multiple sources such as ice cores and tree rings to arrive at their climate estimates. 
Temperatures are usually hottest in July but with an El Niño plus climate change, temperatures have been driven even higher. Another scientist, Friederikd Otto from the UK, thinks with the El Niño we could see this latest record broken in the weeks ahead. A third climate scientist, Robert Rohde from Berkeley Earth said much the same thing as Otto did. 

Honored Contributor

Re: This week. Highest global temperatures in 100,000 years

It reminds me of that creepy Twilight Zone episode!

"The Midnight SunThe Twilight Zone" The Midnight Sun (TV Episode 1961) - IMDb

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay @I'll have to look for that episode. I've forgotten it. Thanks for the reminder. We on planet earth are heading into an uncertain future. 

Respected Contributor

I saw that July 3 and July 4 were the two hottest days worldwide ever recorded.

Honored Contributor

Per NASA website......

"The global warming trend observed on Earth since the mid-20th century is caused by human activities. Human-made emissions in the atmosphere, rapid, unsustainable deforestation, and the increases in non-reflective surfaces, like asphalt, are all examples of human activities amplifying the greenhouse effect, trapping and slowing heat loss to space. While the Sun has played a role in past climate changes, for example, a decrease in solar activity- coupled with increased volcanic activity- helped trigger the Little Ice Age, the evidence shows the current global warming of Earth’s climate cannot be explained by the Sun. Even fluctuations in solar irradiance (the Sun’s energy Earth receives), as the Sun goes through its 11-year cycle, does not cause Earth’s climate to change."

I remember that Twilight Zone episode quite well.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

It amazes me how "they" know how hot it was 100,000 years ago. 

Respected Contributor

@Redshoes07 Mindy stated the methods scientists use to determine global temperatures in her original post. The earth is not flat and yes, men landed and walked on the moon. 

Regular Contributor

@chessylady I never made any mention about the earth is flat or make mention about man walking on the moon. I stand by what I said in my first post. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Redshoes07 wrote:

It amazes me how "they" know how hot it was 100,000 years ago. 

@Redshoes07 Tree rings, even fossilized, as well as ice cores, are evidence of this. I have actually seen, and unfortunately smelled, a few of these cores cut into. Need to correct this big time. 
Sorry, I must correct myself after trying to remember. I don't think I saw an ice core, I think I saw two sediment cores cut into. 

Sorry forgot. Just added this at 9:40 A.M. I should have mentioned that sediment cores from oceans and lakes are also used. Scientists examine foraminifera, tiny fossils, to obtain data. Sediment cores can go back much further in time, as much as many millions of years. I was also able to see how and where these are kept and I was able to observe one that was cut. It also smelled awful. I saw the micrographs and learned how they dated the fossils and how they were used to indicate climatic conditions. 

Trusted Contributor

We are the proverbial frogs slowly boiling in the pot. There has been a definite shift in climate over my lifetime and now we have smoke from distant fires hanging over everything. Like it's normal. We're already where the science said we'd be and we're still denying it, even as the water is starting to boil.

Hoping our children and grands can fix what we wouldn't.