Honored Contributor

Our pastor does not ever get political and I have rarely ever even in conversation heard him discuss current events , except sports, he loves sports. Anyway , for his sermon today he chose to discuss terrorism. His main points were - When we are meant to die we will die and if it isn't our time for God to take us we won't. I grew up with a Mom who truely believed this and always said that as soon as we are conceived that God writes on his heart when we will die, and surely that will be the day, no matter what we do. His other point was - when they make us afraid they win, that is why they are called terrorists. Don't let them win - don't give that to them. Now you may or may not believe the first point , but you really can't deny the second one. Don't give that to them, don't allow them in your head.

Honored Contributor

We need to live up to being the 'home of the brave' again.

Honored Contributor

While many say this I don't get it.  If that's the case we could live as dangerously as we want because if it's not our time to go we will be safe no matter what.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

While many say this I don't get it.  If that's the case we could live as dangerously as we want because if it's not our time to go we will be safe no matter what.

You still could be injured.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

We need to live up to being the 'home of the brave' again.

ever since 9/11, we have been scared of our own shadows.  It doesn't even have to be anything with terrorism - but we will find a way to equate it.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself.   Strong words from a Great Strong President.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

I don't see where politics needed to be mentioned, terrorism stands on its own.

Anyway, predestination used to be a big part of theology, not so much any more.  I grew up with it (Calvin) and reject it.  It gives people an excuse not to take responsibility.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

When my brother was killed in Viet Nam my mother said it was his day to die and had he not been in the war he would have died that day anyway. She believed this and it helped her cope.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I don't believe in fate at all.  

Good things happen to bad people

Bad things happen to good people

Every day

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When my brother was killed in Viet Nam my mother said it was his day to die and had he not been in the war he would have died that day anyway. She believed this and it helped her cope.

That is my belief too - when it is your time to die, you will die, no matter where you are or what is going on around you.   I am sorry about your brother.  Even though that was a long time ago,  I am sure it is still very painful for your family.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I believe that too.