Trusted Contributor

Re: This bill just blew me away

@physicsnut wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I'm sure canada has fabulous health care in comparrison to here - where it is all about the bottom line.

No, I would disagree. My next door neighbors are from Windsor Canada and they moved here to get away from government run healthcare as their "free" healthcare was a 58% tax out of their paychecks.  Her mother was on a 3 year waitlist in Canada for knee surgery. She was in so much pain they brought her here and she had surgery the following week.  Government run healthcare is a disaster.

You could not be more misinformed. I have  direct experience with the Canadian system and, with the exception of some whiners, people would go ballistic if the system was a US-based model. I think the problem with some people is that they take the Canadian health care system for granted. Yes, at times it may mean a wait list and there are private clinics if they want to skip the line and pay mega bucks. 

Your Windsor couple obviously has the means to pay if they can also relocate. I bet they would have been the first to scream bloody murder if the Canadian Government decided to can what is currently in place. 

The Canadian based system is a non-negotiable every election.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

In some instances Canada is ahead of the US and in others it is not.  My sister-in-law had a baby while living in St. Johns.  She received 26 weeks of paid maternity leave (it continued even after she returned to the states).  However, she often said  "you can stand in line and wait to die" with Canadian healthcare.  

I also know a Canadian who needed a knee replacement and due to delays (like 2-3 years) he considered having surgery in either the states or Mexico.  

This is true.  I have a friend in England, and they wait for many things.  Maternity care is good, but not as specialized as it is here.  Some things take forever.  It took a month to get a scan needed for her 3 month old baby's kidney, even longer for the results.  Weird.  If you need rehab or have mental health issues treatment can take up to a 2 year wait for a bed..

Actually maternity leave is a full year in Canada. Paid by the Federal Government. Many employers offer to top up these payments. Your friend was lucky she had an employer who topped up as much as s/he did.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

@Adelina wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I'm sure canada has fabulous health care in comparrison to here - where it is all about the bottom line.

No, I would disagree. My next door neighbors are from Windsor Canada and they moved here to get away from government run healthcare as their "free" healthcare was a 58% tax out of their paychecks.  Her mother was on a 3 year waitlist in Canada for knee surgery. She was in so much pain they brought her here and she had surgery the following week.  Government run healthcare is a disaster.

You could not be more misinformed. I have  direct experience with the Canadian system and, with the exception of some whiners, people would go ballistic if the system was a US-based model. I think the problem with some people is that they take the Canadian health care system for granted. Yes, at times it may mean a wait list and there are private clinics if they want to skip the line and pay mega bucks. 

Your Windsor couple obviously has the means to pay if they can also relocate. I bet they would have been the first to scream bloody murder if the Canadian Government decided to can what is currently in place. 

The Canadian based system is a non-negotiable every election.

I agree - i know a lot of Canadians since moving to Fl. and they all speak about how much better their system there is. Esp. since they have to use our system while they are here for the winter - they know both sides well and much prefer Canada's. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

You all seem to think that when you need an elective surgery here in the USA you just go to the doctor and they do it today or tomorrow. I had to wait 6 months for my back surgery to be scheduled and 4 months for my ankle reconstruction. You don't seem to know there are waiting lists here too.

I have a friend waiting to see a neurosurgeon because she has severe neck pain and arm weakness, she couldn't even get an appt until Dec 12.Then she will have additional wait for the surgery date.

When my sister was diagnosed last November with breast cancer, her surgery could have been scheduled the following week.  She chose to wait until she could get some things done for work so she had it 3 weeks later.

I had to have surgery earlier this year.  I met with my surgeon and my surgery was scheduled 3 weeks out. 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

The costs of Healthcare here in the U.S. has nothing to do with costs.  It is about charging those with a payor source as much as possible to make up for all of those who can not or will not pay their bills.  !!!!

People who don't have insurance in many cases pay A LOT less than those who have insurance, for the same procedures.  I am often astounded at what my insurance company is billed and what they pay, for certain procedures.

Last year I had to have an MRI done and my portion that I had to pay was a little more than $800.00.  A friend of mine has no insurance and her MRI, at the same facility cost her a little under $100.00 because she didn't have insurance.  And she's not low income either.     

Respected Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

See if your city has a program whereby you can sign up, for a small amount each year.  There is no charge to me since I am on my city's paramedic program.

We also subscribe to our local ambulance service. It is $100 a year. I did this after a 1 mile ride (no exaggeration) to the local hospital was $800.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

In some instances Canada is ahead of the US and in others it is not.  My sister-in-law had a baby while living in St. Johns.  She received 26 weeks of paid maternity leave (it continued even after she returned to the states).  However, she often said  "you can stand in line and wait to die" with Canadian healthcare.  

I also know a Canadian who needed a knee replacement and due to delays (like 2-3 years) he considered having surgery in either the states or Mexico.  

My husband is an orthopedic surgeon based in NYC and NJ.  He has had many Canadians as patients.

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

The costs of Healthcare here in the U.S. has nothing to do with costs.  It is about charging those with a payor source as much as possible to make up for all of those who can not or will not pay their bills.  !!!!

That's exactly right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I had breast cancer, I could have had surgery that week.  I chose to wait 2 weeks to get some things done.  When my husband needed serious surgery, he was in at 8 days from diagnosis.  It all has to do with surgeon, and the type of surgery you are having.  I waited to have knee surgery (not replacement) and when I went to schedule they booted me to after the first of the year (about 8 weeks from request).That is because my surgeon was booked.  They only do surgery a couple days a week, and see patients other days.  If I had wanted surgery  then and there, I could have found someone to do it.  But there was no rush, and I love my surgeon! End of the year surgery is tough, everyone wants to do it then if you have deductible.... and have paid it for that year.  Don't try to get in Oct nov, and Dec, unless you book a few months ahead.

I know people who went to the doctor, and were hospitalized that day!  It depends. No one beats US medical care in my eyes.  Yes, there is a shortage of Doctors, so many people now...and we are living longer.  But we are living longer in the US due to better health care knowledge and expertise. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We have family in Canada, and the healthcare is not great. The wait time for procedures and surgeries can be long. People come from all over the world to be treated in the US, and people who have so much wealth and power they could go anywhere, but choose here. We have our problems, but for the most part, we have the best health care options in the world.