Honored Contributor

Thinking about leaving my job forever

I have been working for a health insurance company for 27 years.  I am thinking about retiring  on Monday.  I have been on vacation for the past 3 weeks and I have had time to think about my future.  I don't want to work full time any longer. 

My husband just retired in April.  I'd like to spend time with him and travel more often.  We are both healthy and active.  Wish me luck.

Valued Contributor

Re: Thinking about leaving my job forever

@Carmie wrote:

I have been working for a health insurance company for 27 years.  I am thinking about retiring  on Monday.  I have been on vacation for the past 3 weeks and I have had time to think about my future.  I don't want to work full time any longer. 

My husband just retired in April.  I'd like to spend time with him and travel more often.  We are both healthy and active.  Wish me luck.

I can understand wanting to retire after working for 27 years.  Do you mean give notice to your company that I will not be working after one month or two weeks?

Valued Contributor

Carmie,

If you thought it over, discussed it with your husband, and have the financial resources and health coverage to retire, go for it.  Life is too short not to enjoy and savor every moment.  You are blessed to have your husband,  I quit my job long before I was of retirement age because my husband was ill.  If I didn't take care of him, he would have had to be placed in a facility and that was absolutely unacceptable to me.  Do I have a lot less pension; Yes?  Do I have any regrets; No?  Would I do it again in a heartbeat; Yes?  I did what I had to do and wanted to do.  Treasure every moment you have with your dear husband.  Good luck to both of you.  God bless.   docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

If you have been thinking about it for quite awhile before you went on vacation and have been feeling like -- now is the time, then it sounds like you are ready to make a move!

Also, since your husband is already retired and as you stated, you are both currently in good health, then why not?  Enjoy your time together.  

If I were able to financially, I'd retire in a heartbeat.  

Best wishes and if you do retire, many years of good times and good health together with your DH!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie,  best of luck to you.  You sound like you are ready.  I think retirement can be a gift.  Enjoy!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I had always planned on retiring when I turned 60, but I left my job a year and a half ago. I worked for a small company and there was a younger guy that I had to work with that was taking illegal drugs at work. He would be so high at times that he couldn't lift his head off the desk.  The final straw was when I and another employee were going to lunch and saw him make a drug buy in the company parking lot. We went to the owner, who called him into the office, but nothing was ever really done. I gave notice and left. 

I saw GO FOR IT.....

Oh and by the way, 6 months after I left the OWNER caught him in the parking lot buying drugs.......

Frequent Contributor

I know exactly how you feel.  I have been working a the same place for 36 years and as they say put a fork in me I'm done!  I'm hoping to retire by this time next year if not maybe by next summer.  I'm holding out until my house and second mortgage are paid off.  Otherwise I would have probably retired this October when I turn 62.  As many have said here life is too short to spend it working until you keel over.  Every day we have is a blessing my husband and I hope to have some good retirement years together.  Good Luck Carmie!

Trusted Contributor

Good for you congratulations!!! 

Respected Contributor

I know exactly how you feel (although my husband retired 7 years before I did. At the time he retired I just didn't feel ready myself). But then after working for 30 years I was ready to retire. I think you know when you are ready. And to this day I don't regret it!

Respected Contributor

good for you!  i wish you luck, and hope that you have an easy transition!