Respected Contributor

Re: They dont make things like they used to

I'll say. The days of appliances lasting for decades is apparently over (though it shouldn't be). I don't even want to throw out even small things I don't use if they were made well and long ago. I came across my mom's old original Crock-pot, haven't used it yet, but remember when she did.

That thing's not going anywhere!

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

We just fixed our heating element in the oven, I bought a new one on Amazon for 10 bucks.

My new washer kept breaking, the repairman said it was because a plastic clip now runs the transmission and they break. So instead of buying a new one, I bought an older Sears washer from my Aunt that has all metal parts.

Trusted Contributor

Many times, people will buy the cheapest item available and then stare in wonder when it breaks. For instance, I paid $1,500 for a washing machine (after months of research) while my neighbor bought a used one for $300. She has had repairmen out multiple times and replaced it twice with cheap machines and wonders why.

People complain because the $8 toasters from Wal-Mart break down after a couple of months while wincing at spending $90 one a great model (not made in China). I would rather spend what I can to get the better quality than deal with shoddy merchandise,

Super Contributor

My refrigerator is 21 years going strong.

But our washing machine konked out after 6 years. Yet the dryer is fine after 12 years.

It was cheaper to get a new washer than fix the old one; the extended warranty lapsed.

Super Contributor

They certainly don't make things like they used to. Everything has built in obsolescence, sometimes in only months. Someone gave me a Javalia coffee maker. I had had it about 6 months when one of the little tabs on the swiveling filter cup broke off. I can still use it if I hold it firmly while I insert the other tab and then close the cup at the other side, but come on, why didn't they install metal tabs instead of plastic. The metal wouldn't have broken off. I don't even use the coffee maker unless i am having people over and need to brew 12 cups.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/31/2014 blahblahvampemerblah said:

In the book, "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster," the author talks about quality disappearing from all levels, and she mentions Macy's telling vendors that they want Item A at Price Y, and they don't care what corners you cut to fit those parameters. I know for a fact that LV isn't what it once was, and the author talked about Prada not being up to snuff.

It even hits homes. I think it was in 2012 or 2013 when a fire department built two homes to see how they burn. One was traditional (wood framing and such), and the other had all of the latest building materials. The traditional home gave you 13-17 minutes to get out because everything burned slower. The newer home with all the plastics only gave you 3-4 minutes to get out. Traditional methods win out, and I've found with my own experience, that the homes are sturdier, too.

That sounds like a good book I will have to get that. I have to agree that the quality is just not there anymore.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/31/2014 KYToby said:

Many times, people will buy the cheapest item available and then stare in wonder when it breaks. For instance, I paid $1,500 for a washing machine (after months of research) while my neighbor bought a used one for $300. She has had repairmen out multiple times and replaced it twice with cheap machines and wonders why.

People complain because the $8 toasters from Wal-Mart break down after a couple of months while wincing at spending $90 one a great model (not made in China). I would rather spend what I can to get the better quality than deal with shoddy merchandise,

That isn't always the case. In 2007 we got a top of the line refrigerator that was very expensive and we have had many problems with it. Now my parents had the same brand growing up and that lasted for over 20 years.

Honored Contributor

A six year life for major appliances seems odd. But appliances aren't meant to last for decades like they did back in the "olden days". I remember my mom had a washer and dryer that lasted about 25 years. Some minor repairs over the years, of course. We got about got about 10 or 12 years out of the appliances we had in our home. About 5 for microwaves. We've been in our condo for 6 years. No problems with the appliaces so far. But now I'll probably go home and find that the dishwasher took a final cough and died....lol

Trusted Contributor

On 1/31/2014 KYToby said:

I do not necessarily agree a high price means a better product. A friend of ours still has the same Mom&Pop appliance store his parents owned. We've bought all our appliances from him. Never have we bought the top of the line. He advised us that more often than not they are the ones with the most problems. The fewer do-dads, the fewer things to break.

Honored Contributor

They don't make things like they used to

Many things, some big ticket items, now fall into the "disposable" category.

hckynut(john)