Honored Contributor

Re: There is no such thing as ""free shipping and handling.""

Of course, there is free shipping and handling. I've taken advantage of it many times.

For example...I want to buy a Philosophy shower gel that sells for $20...anywhere you buy it. Qvc will add $3 to that price (used to be more). If Amazon sells it, shipping is free. I find that Nordstrom often has the same items, and shipping is free there, too.

How is the shipping from Amazon or Nordstrom not free, if the price of the item is $20 at each of these sites???

And if Nordstrom has the same item, I also take advantage of mrrebates and the Nordstrom rewards points.

Trusted Contributor

I evaluate and compare prices based on the total cost to me, so it really doesn't matter whether the S&H is included in the cost of the item or listed separately. If a seller advertises "free shipping" and their price is lower than QVC's (or anyone else's) sale price plus shipping, thats what I'm looking for......and it's not hard to find. And if the total cost is one simple number, that saves me the trouble of doing math. I'm all for one simple, competitive price.

Honored Contributor

So many shoppers chase free anything but it's never free. ---not shipping, not that novo at the supermarket. I've saved lots of money in my life which makes my current retirement fairly comfortable, but the bulk of that savings has come from personal research and restraint, not from anything free.
Super Contributor

Well . . . like the old saying there is no such thing as a *free* lunch . . .

and that all *free* shipping IS built/factored into the cost of the item

all things considered and exact same price for the product

IF you do find a *free* shipping code or free shipping retailer

vs IF you do NOT find a free shipping code or free shipping retailer

THEN it seems reasonable and factual that IF you do NOT

AND

that IF the shipping is factored into pricing you are PAYING SHIPPING TWICE

IF you don't take advantage of getting to *free* shipping minimum purchase levels or taking advantage of *free* shipping codes.

Right?

So yea you're paying for it but do you really want to pay twice?

Not me.

Which is why I shop best price.

Lowest or no shipping.

Reliable merchant.

No sales tax or only state sales tax saving the 4 to 4.5% local sales tax. (yea that's debatable too but not for this topic)

And any ebates, mrrebates, shopdiscover or upromise rebates.

I've known some very "smart" people in my life to whom I have to shake my head knowing they go to a new car dealer and buy a new car and pay sticker price like you'd go to a department store and buy a new pair of jeans. Sometimes it just makes ya wonder.

Super Contributor