Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@september wrote:

I've seen the plastic furniture covers on sitcoms!  I have a hard time believing real people would/could do this.

I have seen this. It's scary! I worked with a lady 8 years ago and she told me her sofa had a plastic cover on it. I didn't know what to say.

@proudlyfromNJ

C'mon girl, you never knew anyone in NJ growing up with plastic on their furniture? 

@MyGirlsMom Ha! Actually growing up, no. But the lady I spoke of lives in NJ!

Esteemed Contributor

My mother loved plastic..fruit, flowers, art, etc. 

I can't stand the stuff! No plastic for me..

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

My MIL (in NJ) had plastic covers on her living room furniture and lamp shades.  Over the sofa was this huge, horrendous picture of the Last Supper done in black velvet.  The entire downstairs had wall to wall indoor/outdoor rug.  The kitchen had plastic over it.

Respected Contributor

We used all chairs and couch. Laid back and nice memories.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

My MIL (in NJ) had plastic covers on her living room furniture and lamp shades.  Over the sofa was this huge, horrendous picture of the Last Supper done in black velvet.  The entire downstairs had wall to wall indoor/outdoor rug.  The kitchen had plastic over it.

@lulu2

I think at least half of my friends growing up had a crushed velvet picture of the Last Supper hanging in the living or dining room. Woman LOL

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Regular Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Yes. I grew up in a house where we(  the Children) were not allowed to sit on the front room furniture.  I guess it was TOO NICE for us to use.  We had to sit on the floor... We also  had plastic covers on the dining room chairs that only came off if we had company( which was never).

I remember one day I was touching a lamp that was in the front room...my Father saw me with my hands on it....he hit me on the side of the head.  I never saw that coming and to this day I remember that slap.....

interesting fact that I find myself as an adult not able to sit on or use my front room furniture.   I feel uncomfortable on it....like I do not  deserve the privilege of enjoying it.   Odd how what you grew up with follows( or haunts) you even as an adult.

@SeaMaiden....That sounds awfulWoman Sad..I'm so sorry. It does seem like it was traumatizing.

I grew up in a very small home that consisted of a living room, an eat in in kitchen/dinette combination, and 2 bedrooms. Therefore, our family (4 of us) had no choice but to make use of every room. And, when we had company, it sure was cozy..lol...but it was enjoyed by all.

Iionically,even after I married and had a child, we have only been able to afford a small home with the same living area.  I always dreamed of having at least one an extra room, (whiich I won't ever have, as I don't need now that my husband and I are "empty nesters"), I would definately use and enjoy it!!! 

Please, if you can do it financially, sell whatever you have in that room,( bad memories), and buy some furniture (even used, etc. or buy slip covers if you are unable to afford any new furniture. Bring "new life" to that room and make it feel comfortable and inviting to you with new decor, etc. or even your favorite colors...and live in it and ejoy it!!!!

All The Best...

BohemianGalHeart

p.s. after you Re-decorate, page me here on the Q and post a picture of your "new room"...which I hope becomes your favorite room in the house!!!!

Regular Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

We have a sitting room. DH calls it the room that no one sits in. Basically it is a formal living room: chair, couch, love seat, coffee table, no TV. sittingroom.JPG

Regular Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

We have a sitting room. DH calls it the room that no one sits in. Basically it is a formal living room: chair, couch, love seat, coffee table, no TV. sittingroom.JPG

@StylishLady....It's a lovely room..PLEASE use it and ENJOY IT!!!!  If you must, redecorate it so it is useful.  When I saw the picture with the adjacent patio, and lovely view,  I immediately thought of how nice it would be to convert it into an "art room" of some type.....one with a lot of plants to bring "life" to the room. Perhaps you can begin to paint, draw, write, or learn to play a musical instrument!!! I live in a tiny home with no "extra room"...but if I did, I would be sure to find a way to enjoy it!!!!

BoehmianGal

Honored Contributor

Re: The "Good Chair"

[ Edited ]

The living room chairs were covered with beach towels that were taken off if we had company.  The carpet was an off white and covered with plastic runners in the traffic areas.  Those stayed in place all the time.   I wasn't allowed to bake, even a boxed cake mix, because it would make a mess.  

And, yes, my dad had a leather Mister chair.  I wasn't allowed to sit in it.  My DIL had it fixed and my son has it now.

ETA:  changed plastered runners to plastic.  It was my dad who was plastered😏

Honored Contributor

My original thought as this would be a funny thread, but some of the answers are sad - apparently some parents put their possessions ahead of their children.