Esteemed Contributor

I ordered some things online for Christmas. One place I ordered my granddaughter a piece of clothing that has to do with helping animals. (that she wanted for one of her gifts).

Well, I gave MY "shopping only" email address, and DH's credit card and name.

No 5 minutes later I get a message on FACEBOOK in chat telling me about my order and it says they will contact me through that when its shipped.

I never gave them my facebook name!, but the email (which I thought they would use for contact),  is associated with my facebook account. (And that email I  use to order things so I don't get bombarded with offers in my "newer email address" after the holidays like I do in my email I use to shop)

Anyway I thought boy the Internet sure is invasive, that they found out my facebook name the minute I ordered from my email.

They are reputable BUT I just hope they dont keep bothering me on facebook chat for an eternity with ads and offers!

Like i said I assumed they would contact me via email not on faceook = Annoying!

As they said in the book I read in school, (I believe it was called 1984), big brother is watching! lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

Every website you visit to look at items tracks you. Go to QVC and look at a product and chances are the next time you open your e-mail or same browser, you will see the items you were looking at during that visit.

There are some products on the market that claim to "stop tracking", but the ones I have read about are not something that has convinced me that they work.

Remember the old private world we used to live in, no cameras on every block/nobody stealing your medical paper work from your doctor or hospital/nobody able to track your every move on the "Glorious Super Highway known as the Internet and/or Cyberspace or The Cloud"?

I do, and one known as an electronic geek since the 1950's?  Give me those years of technology any day, comparatively speaking.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: The invasive internet

[ Edited ]

My email is bettyray.  You would be surprised at how many emails "Ray" gets.

Honored Contributor

I've  noticed more and more websites have icons to link to FB, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.

Although I participate in none of those is it possible that clicking on one of those icons link you automatically?

There is no privacy on the internet, really. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U 

This kind of stuff annoys me.  So what if you are using an email addressed associated with your Facebook account.  These companies should ask our contact preferences before they attach their notifications.  May-be it me that I don't know enough on how to thwart this kind of stuff.

Honored Contributor

Except this isn't the 50's anymore, tracking is occuring in our daily lives and isn't going away anytime soon, if ever imo.

Respected Contributor

What I hate the most is when I visit practically any website, how certain home shopping channels put those lousy advertisements on the page, practically covering the page I'm trying to look at.  I would never consider buying any of the items they show me, and in fact many are items I've already purchased or I looked at a year ago!  I just don't care to clear my browsing history (for various reasons), so I guess I have to put up with this.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Thus some of the many reasons I do not do Facebook, Twitter, or any of the many other personal information sites that are

out there for people to have their information sifted through. I

was told years ago by someone involved in the creation of one of these sites that we should stay off them. And I do.

Esteemed Contributor

The other day I ordered something they showed and they knew who I was. I had not ordered anything from them ever. I thought maybe they had an interest in another company I bought from.

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde, I don't clear my browing history but I do run the free CCleaner everynight to remove unwanted cookies and to clear cache.  In conjunction with uBlock Origin I seldom get ads from anywhere and never from the shopping channels.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.