Honored Contributor

Re: The first Hurricane in the History of Hawaii

On 8/7/2014 wagnerdancer said:
On 8/7/2014 MrsSweetieBear said:

Yes we all worried about these two here.

There have been hurricanes that have made a direct hit in the state of Hawaii. Iniki in 1992 was a Cat 4 and devastated Kauai. This is the first to make a direct hit on the Big Isand of Hawaii before being downgraded to a Tropical Storm. It should slightly weaken as it moves up the island chain but all islands will feel the effects.

Here on Maui, we are next in line. Everything is closed or closing soon. We are expecting power outages state wide. Personally, dh and I are most worried about huge old trees coming down on top of our house.

Thinking of you all and praying for you. I read that someone said that once the storms hit the big island that the volcanoes will really slow the storms down. I love Maui and have been there many, many times - just recently this past October. Be safe!!!

I want to add my prayers and positive thoughts for MrsSweetieBear, MrSweetieBear, their sweet dogs, and everyone else in the path of danger.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Mrs Sweetiebear, you will be in my thoughts. Please stay safe. Is your home secure. Do they have some sturdy shelters near you? Please keep us posted. We will be watching tv but worrying about you. Will your next door pups be inside?

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/7/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 8/7/2014 Love Roses said:

They are called Typhoons, not Hurricanes.

So... it turns out they're the same thing. Maybe the news outlets are assuming most people understand what a hurricane is but aren't used to "Typhoon."

"Hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons are all the same weather phenomenon; we just use different names for these storms in different places."

Hi Noel! They may be very similar but it's how folks have know which seas the weather was taking place. If others aren't aware of this or the how the maritime knows them as well..................then they need to hold their educators responsible.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

I lived on Oahu in Navy housing in 1992 when Iniki came barreling in. We were supposed to get hit direct on but in turned and hit Kauai instead. The Fern Grotto was destroyed and that is how all the chickens came to be running around like flies everywhere. The active duty members had to take the ships out so us spouses rode it out solo because we are hard core like that. Prayers for the next two coming to sputter out.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

So, now a 4.2 earthquake has hit the big island of Hawaii. Now, that is scary because it has been the active volcano there that usually causes them.

Honored Contributor

They are called Typhoons, not Hurricanes.

So... it turns out they're the same thing. Maybe the news outlets are assuming most people understand what a hurricane is but aren't used to "Typhoon."

"Hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons are all the same weather phenomenon; we just use different names for these storms in different places."

This is the first year that I think I have heard weathercasters referring to Pacific storms as hurricanes.

Honored Contributor

So, now a 42 earthquake has hit the big island of Hawaii. Now, that is scary because it has been the active volcano there that usually causes them.

Is that 4 point 2?

I used to love to visit that little church on the Big Island. Then the volcano destroyed it. Awful.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

So, now a 42 earthquake has hit the big island of Hawaii. Now, that is scary because it has been the active volcano there that usually causes them.

Is that 4 point 2?

I used to love to visit that little church on the Big Island. Then the volcano destroyed it. Awful.

{#emotions_dlg.blushing} Yes Noel, it was 4 point 2, not a 42 - something like that would destroy the planet.

Honored Contributor

Is that 4 point 2?

{#emotions_dlg.blushing} Yes Noel, it was 4 point 2, not a 42 - something like that would destroy the planet.

To say the least. LOL.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices