Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of college - then & now

I can't even remember.  But then, I had to kind of take my time because I had to support myself.  I finished high school by the time I was 16 but couldn't get out of that horrible situation until I was 17.    

I remember not having a problem supporting myself and affording classes, but that was a VERY long time ago!   I know it's been massively more expensive in the last 10-20 years.   I don't know how some folks manage.

Respected Contributor

Athletes who receive sports scholarships (most partial, some full) have worked for many years to get to the D1 level.  Our nephew has a partial D1 baseball scholarship.  He is not going to a school that meets his academic ability (he dumbed it down to play, and he's 1000 miles away). For 10 years, his parents had him in club baseball, private coaches, traveling to tournaments all over the country etc.  So whatever "scholarship" they are getting now, they paid it up front to get him to this level.  They lost their whole summers due to this kid.  The other siblings suffered.  So anyone who thinks "just get a sports scholarship and go to school for free even if you're stupid" think again.  Except for the Notre Dame football players... Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

My tuition was around $24,000 a year back in the mid-90's.  It's now up to $50,000 a year at the same school.  I don't know how people can afford it.  

One of my siblings is still paying off his school debt and I'm embarrassed to tell you how old he is.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really don't know what to say as a reply to @ dragthewaters, but hopefully I understand some of the pain and disillusionment you feel about your education. The poor economy struck blows to many college graduates a few years ago, and they found it difficult to find lucrative employment after graduation. Certainly some millenials have struggled and have different perspectives from previous generations. My child double-majored, and one of those was physics. There were several recruiters from finance, IT, and public employment. My child accepted one position that started out at 2 1/2 times plus substantial bonuses compared to my current salary as an experienced, skilled worker with 2 master's degrees. But, my child has that intuitive drive and curiosity that made working outside of the university temporary and research and a doctorate compelling. The world of finance is currently evolving, and a STEM degree can sometimes be applicable to working in other fields such as a fintech, a quantitative analyst, etc. You sound like a brilliant and accomplished young person who can reach any goal you have for yourself. I have great faith and confidence in the millenial generation. I've heard that finding what we love to do is a crucial part of success. When my child moved to the east coast from our home on the west coast to attend an ivy league school, my heart was quietly breaking. My heart would have broken more if I had been any kind of obstacle that would have prevented my child from living that dream. Of course I don't know, but perhaps your mom had the best intentions by encouraging (or insisting?) that you attend that university. The economic downturn wasn't as predictable as it should have been, and many of us base decisions on previous patterns. I am grateful for those grants and scholarships, but not a day goes by that I don't deeply miss my child. I receive the MIT OpenCourseWare emails and have found several intriguing courses. They also tell me how the world is changing. Few of us have one career; we change direction. With your education, you're likely more employable than others with the same training you're taking now. Keep going.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut  There was an article in MILive today about no MI schools paying for their athletics completely.  The students at UMich end up subsidizing $6 per year.  The ones at Lake Superior State subsidize to the tune of $1,200 per year.  Do students know they are paying for this?  My guess is no.

Trusted Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

When I went to college the cost was $115.00 per quarter… that included full medical coverage through the on-campus health center and the university hospital.  And this was at a Big Ten University, not just a little local community college.  I remember my parents talking about how the cost had gone up drastically since they went to the same school when they were in college.  I am shocked at what it costs now and wonder how today's students will ever get out of debt in their lifetime. 

What did it cost for you to attend college?

My tuition was $482/semester in 1976-1978. Then it went up to a whopping $545/semester until I graduated in 1980. That included health insurance with the on campus medical university. My dad also kept me on his health insurance until I graduated. I do remember books being outrageous, even then...my Business Law books cost me OOP $75 each, and I rememeber my Accouting books costing me over $100, but that was also for several volumes. At the time, it was expensive.

My son is currently paying $5200/semester for his Masters in Physics. I just gave him $250 for one of his textbooks.

How times have changed.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone for sharing your information!  It is amazing to see how things have changed over the years.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Re: ByRe: The cost of college - then & now

[ Edited ]

I went to Indiana University in Bloomington.  I believe my college probably cost around $5,000 a year.    I paid for a bit over half of it.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

Re: ByRe: The cost of college - then & now

[ Edited ]

I decided to go back to school when I was 40 as a non-traditional student. The company I worked for at the time agreed to compensate me for tuition for classes as long as I continued to work there. I worked full-time and went to school part-time. While the company paid my tuition, I had to pay for my books. And I remember having to buy 7 books for one class! And I was really frustrated when I realized that I only had to read two chapters at the most from some of those books. What a waste of money! (I think textbooks are a huge rip-off anyway.)  It took me ten years, but I managed to graduate with a B.A. in Geography. I use my degree now as a community planner for my county.

Our son was a Physics major at a private college. We knew he was going to continue his education and he grew up knowing that college was in his future; it was just always assumed that he would go. We scrimped and saved so he could go. We paid for his tuition, my in-laws paid for his books every semester. My mother made sure she sent him a check every week that boy was in college; the check was for spending money, for the incidentals that he would need. When he graduated from college with his Physics degree, he was virtually debt-free. It pretty much took every penny we had and we scraped for years for him to go.

I don't know how parents with more than one or two kids in college at one time can get them through. It was really difficult just getting him through school.

Esteemed Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@hckynut  There was an article in MILive today about no MI schools paying for their athletics completely.  The students at UMich end up subsidizing $6 per year.  The ones at Lake Superior State subsidize to the tune of $1,200 per year.  Do students know they are paying for this?  My guess is no.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Yes, we knew we were subsidizing the jocks and coaching staff through our fees while not getting the perks they did or the donors to athletic programs. I'll also add that we were also are aware that when state taxes are cut it adds up to tuition hikes.