Trusted Contributor

The cost of college - then & now

When I went to college the cost was $115.00 per quarter… that included full medical coverage through the on-campus health center and the university hospital.  And this was at a Big Ten University, not just a little local community college.  I remember my parents talking about how the cost had gone up drastically since they went to the same school when they were in college.  I am shocked at what it costs now and wonder how today's students will ever get out of debt in their lifetime. 

What did it cost for you to attend college?

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of college - then & now

@Havarti wrote:

When I went to college the cost was $115.00 per quarter… that included full medical coverage through the on-campus health center and the university hospital.  And this was at a Big Ten University, not just a little local community college.  I remember my parents talking about how the cost had gone up drastically since they went to the same school when they were in college.  I am shocked at what it costs now and wonder how today's students will ever get out of debt in their lifetime. 

What did it cost for you to attend college?

I remember going to City college in the 70's and all you had to pay for were your books.  I also remember state college being $30.00 per credit.  It can be done because it was done before.

Respected Contributor

My ENTIRE 4 year finance degree from a state school including room, board and books cost THE SAME as my DD's 1st semester at a state school 

Respected Contributor

I went to community college first, in 1973, and continued  for two years. I believe the total cost was about $700 per year, including books and all fees. Then I got my BS degree through State University of New York. It was some years later, but still only ran about $100 per credit hour (I went part-time a while, and finished up my last semester full-time (I think it cost me $800 for the classes, no fees, books, or room and board. My dd went to a private college in 1998 and it ran $23,000 her first year. She was on a track to get her BA and MA in four years. The last year cost nearly $27,000 . All four years she lived on campus, got meal packages (required for the first two years!). In 2007 my ds got a full ride to the community college my dh and I went to! It was an academic award which included everything! He then transferred to a state college, but lived at home. I don't remember what that ran because he changed his major (again🙄). After one year he both transferred to an out of state university and changed his major! This university was not overly pricey for the private, big name university. Fortunately he was still able to live at hone, saving bundles! When all was said and done, he owed $40,000 in student loans!

My dd is a teacher in a district that is considered at risk. She should have gotten her student loans forgiven after five years but when she filled out her paperwork somehow the college delayed, or told her to delay one day and that day cost her the forgiveness! She tried to get help from our local politicians, but got no help!😡 She teaches autistic high school kids, and is very successful at getting ALL of them to graduate! How can the government be so awful to such a good, and badly needed teacher as she?

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

When I first started (Fall of '81), it was $18 a class- found my college stuff in a folder one day and thought "holy moly".

In the 90's, it was $85 or so because our local CC was half the price and I took a few classes there to save money:$35 or so. 

I did a paper on the cost of college and was it worth that cost for an Econ class and the research showed no; my prof got a kick out of it. He gave me an A with a note to "remember this going forward". I still have that paper. The issues regarding cost then and the increases are still the same today. In the end, it's a racket, a for profit enterprise that doesn't have to give you a refund and well....

I'll leave it at that.

Valued Contributor

Full price, no financial aid, including room and board, private college was $3000 per year.  Same price as my first new car.  That was a LOT of money then.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a schlorship to pay my tuition but that was all so I had to pay for books, labs, uniforms, dorm and food. When I was done I had a loan for $1400. I had worked throughout the entire 3 years as well.Back then my 2 weeks take home pay was $167, my car insurance was $600/year, but where I worked the health ins was free. I thought starting out $1400 in debt was just horrible. I was obsessed with only using that loan for vitally important purchases.

I went back for my BSN to a state college in late 70s and it was $30 a credit. So if a class was 4 credits it was $120. I was fortunate to get that reimbursed by the hospital where I worked.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter graduated in 2011 and her 4 year degree was around $120,000., that included room and board and books.

She is one of the lucky ones, she is working in the industry that she has her degree in.

Her very best college friend/roommate has a degree in Criminal Justice and she's selling furniture.

Honored Contributor

I went to a Catholic university, and if I recall correctly ... it was $8,000 a semester and you were able to take up to 18 credits per semester.  I wanted to get my money's worth ... so I did take the full 18 credits each semester and 12 full time over one summer.  

The school was only a couple of miles from home so I didn't live on campus ... I commuted.

Between scholarships and grants and my own savings, I was able to graduate without any debt ... in less than 4 years.

Trusted Contributor

My tuition was around $24,000 a year back in the mid-90's.  It's now up to $50,000 a year at the same school.  I don't know how people can afford it.