Contributor

Re: The big top comes down: Ringling Bros. circus is closing

Respected Contributor

Even as a child I disliked the circus.  Just saw an ad on tv this morning for the Shrine Circus.  

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Big Joanie wrote:

i don't like Zoos or the Circus... wish wild animals from other continents had

never been brought here in the first place ...

Ditto this. 

If one wants to see the wild animals, go and visit that continent/place.

The animals on those continents may very well be extinct if not part of zoo breeding programs.

Yes...it's a two-way street. I see that the Giant Pandas are off the endangered species list now thanks to zoo breeding programs. They have been downgraded to the "Vulnerable Species List."

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Enders  Your post is blank.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I just wonder what "suitable homes" the existing animals will go to.....I DO hope it is a place where these animals will be well taken care of and NOT these safaris where people pay to shoot exotic animals---those are just detestable and should be OUTLAWED!!! mad emoticon

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The circus employed hundreds of people who weren't involved with the animals who will now find themselves all out of work also. The performers, stage hands, drivers, riggers, publicists, and more will all lose their jobs. It's not just about the animals. The human cost will be quite large. 

Whenever a business is demonized as the circus has been, it's nearly impossible for them to fight back and stay in business. Were the animals exploited? Sure. So are the chickens that lay the eggs you eat for breakfast, the pig that became the sausage or bacon you ate, the cow that gave you the milk you drink. Animals get exploited. Heck, people get exploited too.

These national campaigns that get launched these days to destroy a business are getting a tad out of hand. If you tell some people you went to the circus and had a good time they act llike you went to a KKK rally. They're shocked and appalled at your insensitivity.  "If you knew what really went on, you'd never go to another circus!"

What really went on were hundreds of people had jobs, Tens of thousands, if not millions of people had an entertaining night out and created fond memories. Lots of money went into the economy on concession sales.

"But they exploited the animals!" Truth be told many of those animals would not be alive if there had been no circus. They were bred to be a part of the circus. It's not like they're out rounding up wild elephants to use in the circus. The animals used in circuses are almost always captive bred. With no market for them in the circus or zoos the animals would not be bred at all. The breeding stock would not be kept alive if there's no market for their offspring.  There's no reason to feed a  group of elephants and waste the land on them if their offspring have no market for the breeders. The breeding stock would be killed so they no longer need to be fed or housed. If you shut down the zoos, circuses and everything that exploits animals, all you'll achieve is the death of thousands of animals.

"It's better to be dead than a lifetime of exploitation!" I'm not so sure the animals would agree with that, but if that's what you believe then so be it.

@gardenman

oh God ,do you really think that ????  I am stunned,shocked  and heartsick by your post  Smiley Sad

Sadly,my own father worked for the circus as a boy.He made the (don't know what you call it) stage? go around.He was under the stage winding the stairs round and round. He grew up and worked all the rest of his life for UPS from a driver to the top of the line  and got a gold watch for his time there.  so there are other jobs available to these workers that really do not give a darn for these poor captive creatures of God!!!

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Time and taste moves on - however, I'd rather see animals engaged in doing something instead of seeing big beautiful ones (tiger as example) pacing and standing in an empty square looking at you (zoo) while you look at him/her.  Or a huge fish swimming around and around in limited space.  What happened to - 'born free'? (song)   Visit to a zoo makes me sad.

I don't know about other zoos---but I know most now have large grassy areas instead of cages these days......  And one thing to think about is in the wild they don't have much protection from poachers killing animals even on sanctioned conservations areas for their pelts or ivory .....  or animals become victims in war torn countries too....then there are land developments even in places like the Amazon forest and other areas which leave the animals without habitats....The poor animals!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Plus ,now these poor Elephants will be used in Cancer  RESEARCH   Smiley Sad

This is sooooo sad ! They have paid enough they should have been able to live on in  Freedom and  Peace!

According to http://time.com/4177844/elephants-retire-circus-sanctuary/ the elephants will retire to a  200-acre ranch.

@NickNack  Sadly that is not true.It may be a ranch but it is an experimental ranch Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
never mind....

Respected Contributor

Where will Twisty go?