Respected Contributor

Though it's true that the Wolf of Wall Street was nominated for five Academy Awards, it failed to win in any category.

The film received positive reviews from critics, but was also controversial for its moral ambiguity, sexual content, presence of drugs, vulgarity and use of animals.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wolf_of_Wall_Street_%282013_film%29

Respected Contributor
On 4/6/2014 sunnybrook said: Just saw this film. DiCaprio was excellent as usual. But, I didn't care for the movie as a whole. It wasn't even the overuse of the f bomb. The movie was por****graphic.

According to Wikipedia, the film holds the record for the most uses of the f bomb in a mainstream non-documentary film.

Honored Contributor

Violence in movies bothers me more than s*x in movies.

But then again, Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies, and that was a very violent movie.

Honored Contributor
On 4/6/2014 Deb1010again said:
On 4/6/2014 brii said: It was surprising graphic. Leo and Jonah were fabulous in it though

Yes they were. I was especially impressed with how they handled the scenes where they were so affected by the drugs. The way they talked and moved. I don't know how they did it without actually being so high.

I don't know either.

Plus, the amount of dialogue that Leo had was astounding. I think he was in every scene of that movie.

Esteemed Contributor

It was a total bore. I shut it off before it ended also.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/6/2014 beammeupscottie said:
On 4/6/2014 Georgie the 5th said:

I guess no one here worked on a trading desk in the 80's.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Nope.. But, I did work for a brokerage firm years ago. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Super Contributor

I have no desire to see a movie that showcases this type of filthy behavior. I can just imagine the real Jordan re-telling these explicit details to the audience. For what? To entertain us? To make sure we all know about that lifestyle? No thanks, I like to be educated but I can live the rest of my life without ever knowing how disgusting humans can really be.

I can't even imagine the P&rn that Hollywood will "entertain" us with when 50 shades come out. Disgusting.

BTW, last night I watched for the umpteenth time The Godfather and was reminded that a movie with an excellent cast, superb actors, great storyline can be made without gratuitous secks. And even though there was violence, none of the scenes made me look away. Most of the violence was implied rather than the whole focus of the movie.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/6/2014 Georgie the 5th said:

I guess no one here worked on a trading desk in the 80's.

Seems not or they've conveniently forgotten why and who caused the financial crisis that almost took down the world's economies. And this behavior still going on with HFT and the London Whale/Libor scandal, just for a couple of examples.

Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2014 pridequeen said:

I have no desire to see a movie that showcases this type of filthy behavior. I can just imagine the real Jordan re-telling these explicit details to the audience. For what? To entertain us? To make sure we all know about that lifestyle? No thanks, I like to be educated but I can live the rest of my life without ever knowing how disgusting humans can really be.

I can't even imagine the P&rn that Hollywood will "entertain" us with when 50 shades come out. Disgusting.

BTW, last night I watched for the umpteenth time The Godfather and was reminded that a movie with an excellent cast, superb actors, great storyline can be made without gratuitous secks. And even though there was violence, none of the scenes made me look away. Most of the violence was implied rather than the whole focus of the movie.

I agree . . . a classic, surely will go down in history as one of the top ten movies of all time. It was perfect in every way and, as you say, as tastefully done as that topic could ever be handled. I also can watch it over and over again and never tire of it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Pawnography is meant to be titillating and to cause secksual arousal. I didn't find this movie titillating at all. In fact, it made me angry that this kind of excess and greed led to me losing nearly half of my retirement savings.