Honored Contributor

Re: The Weather Channel 'shakeup'...

@homedecor1

I agree completely with you!  I thought he was great on GMA and really, it wasn't the same without him!!!  I thought he was a great asset to them.  It would be nice if he could be brought back.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting this, @Susan Louise.

Here's an in-depth article about more of the thinking behind the changes:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/media/weather-channel-sam-champion/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

My feeling about the weather channel is that it has tanked in the last 5-10 years.

If I turn on the WEATHER CHANNEL I want to watch........WEATHER. I can live with 5 minutes of a "feature" about "naming Hurricanes" or "blizzards I have known" or other such non-CURRENT weather topics, but the 1/2 hour "entertainment" broadcasts? Noooooooooooooooo!!

I'm totally over Al Roker's "charm", and although I missed Sam when he left GMA, I never watched the channel long enough to see what he was supposed to be doing.

A WEATHER channel should just do WEATHER, no songs, no dances, no recipes, no features, no human interest, JUST WEATHER 10 times every hour, and regional or national weather every 20 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

This is a good article, and I have to say, I agree with the decision. I gave up on TWC a long time ago because of the shift to "reality TV".

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo  TY for the link! I am at least relieved to know that there will be more weather broadcast and less reality shows. I will be also happy to see less neon dresses and hearing less hashtag this and facebook that and actually talk more about what the channel is there for.

I just wish they wouldn't let go the ones with the most seniority...which unfortunately cost TWC more salary-wise. 

Job security died two decades ago anyway...so status quo in that regard.

Trusted Contributor

I agree I hope Sam comes back to GMA.

Super Contributor

We used to watch TWC every morning, but the dynamic duo of Roker and Abrams chased us away.

They really do need to go back to reporting the weather - I can't stand the reality shows that are on every time you try to find the weather on a station called 'The Weather Channel'.

Keep Sam Champion, get rid of Roker, Abrams, and the reality shows on 21 hours of the day and we would be back.

Unfortunately at the bottom of the 1st article, they mentioned that Abrams would be coming back to be a 'key part' of the morning team. So I guess we won't be watching after all.

Trusted Contributor

I'm from Cleveland, so I remember Al Roker from his early days (pre-bypass surgery) in weather broadcasting.  Enjoyed him doing our local weather, but haven't really enjoyed him since he went to the big national markets many years ago.  Liked Sam Champion on GMA, but have to admit I enjoy Ginger Zee even more.  I don't think Sam brought much of anything to The Weather Channel, and I'm so over those Stephanie Abrams reality spots.  The Abrams/Roker combo was just plain bad.  Got the feeling neither of them liked doing that show, especially Al.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

I miss TWC when it used to be just weather...not filled with all the shows they have now...

It was nice being able to click on TWC and see the weather 24/7. Sometimes in the afternoon I click on it and the Prospectors show is on...or one of the other shows are.

I don't want to have to be on my pute to check, but I guess that is the sign of the times...sigh.

Me too.  I rarely if ever turned on TWC anymore because it was all programming and very little weather!  The local on the 8's ended up scrolling off to the side during some other program. 

Respected Contributor

@whatsup wrote:

Neither Sam nor Al have offered anything to further my watching of TWC.  In fact that Channel needs to get back to WHAT put them on the map...the WEATHER. Their weekend programming is dismal, and it's become everything BUT the weather. Smiley Mad

I never watched GMA so had no opinion on Sam Champion previously, but I hated that AMQ show and just stopped watching.  Also can't stand Stephanie Abrams. 

I stopped watching until Vivian Brown came on later in the morning.  Such a classy lady.  Sorry she's leaving.  The only thing I like about the new Weather Channel is that Dave Schwarz is back.