Respected Contributor

This is terrible news.

From the LA Times:

Northern California fire explodes; 24 homes lost, thousands threatened

The Rocky Fire exploded overnight, burning 47,000 acres as of Sunday morning and threatening 6,000 structures in Lake, Yolo and Colusa counties.

The U.S. Forest Service said "fire activity dramatically progressed" late Saturday, forcing the closure of several state highways in the area. The fire is just 5% contained; about 12,000 people have been ordered to evacuate.

Nearly 2,000 firefighters are battling the blaze and more are coming into the area. The Rocky Fire is burning east of Clear Lake, Calif., in a remote area roughly between Highways 29 and 16, south of Highway 20. The fire has been fueled by erratic winds and is burning in rugged areas that are difficult for firefighters to access.

"Firefighters continue to construct fire lines in an effort to achieve full perimeter control," the USFS said in a statement. "Damage assessment teams have begun initial assessments based on access through fire affected areas."

The fire has destroyed 24 residences and 26 outbuildings, according to the USFS and is the biggest of numerous fires burning in drought-plagued Northern California.

"Dry thunderstorms" — lightning and wind with very little rain — are the main cause of roughly two dozen large blazes that have led to one firefighter's death and prompted Gov. Jerry Brown to declare a state of emergency.

Another link from CA Fire. Take a look at the statewide fire map: http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=1161

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

WOW!! 

How sad.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

I was in both the San Diego Fires, 2003 and 2007 and believe me there is not much that is more frightening.  The first fire we packed for evacuation very quickly... then the fire diverted and we didn't have to leave.

The second fire was extremely frightening because we were surrounded on three sides, threw things, people and animals into our motorhome and went down to the Stadium (Mission Valley) until we were told we could go home.  We lived back near the Route 67 climb up to Ramona and although we didn't have horses, many did... they were set free and everyone got the heck out of there.  This fire continued to the Coast, wiping out whole neighborhoods.  There were several fires going at the same time, ours, one up in Ramona that almost surrounded the town and threatened it, and one or two in the East counties (my son was up in Ramona helping his friends )... It was BAD....

The devastation was horrible!  Unbelievable that it could take out so many neighborhoods.  But the winds were so strong that it was extremely difficult getting in front of it....  many people died.

So my prayers are strongly sent to everyone dealing with fire....  scares me beyond reason....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Re: The Rocky Fire in CA

[ Edited ]

@Say Nay 

I am praying for everyone in that area.

I still have a home North of that area, very familiar with Hwy 20 have traveled it many times, it is just a very narrow 2 lanes and curving around the mountains and the lakes on the other side.

I have been on the front lines fighting fires, in over 100 degree weather.

It has been 105 in Ukiah, last few days.

I am praying for the fire fighters and their family's also.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

Super Contributor

Also once you get pass the lakes it is mountains, very hard terrian to fight fires.

I am praying for the familys that lost their homes and all their pets, and all wild life in that area.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

Esteemed Contributor

I think the curvey road is called Hopland.  My DL sister lives in Kesleyville.  Hasn't crossed to there yet and they are using the school for I think Red cross shelter for people in the other towns around.

My heart is aching.  We lived just south of Sacramento.  Would often go camping and kayaçking in that area .  So sad. Praying for everyone's safety, and rain soon.

Esteemed Contributor

We know, folks pray, and we all just hold on. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

It is a terrible situation. I am praying for rain and miracles.

My thoughts are with all those affected and fighting.

Super Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

We know, folks pray, and we all just hold on. 

@Puzzle Piece Ahh a voice of reason, thank you I was getting anxious and your reply calmed me.

There are many reservations in that area.

I have learned so much from living on the reservation.

Many Elders do not want to share their experiences, I have been close enough to some that they trusted me and did share their stories.

It my saddens my heart, the slavery, murders, other atrocity's which is hard to speak of.

I dug out my book and reading it again "Genocide and Vendetta" by Carrrancco and Beard.

If you can or want to I would suggest this book to read.

A Story that resembles those of other regions and peoples.

Take care of your self so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows