Respected Contributor

Re: The Q Customers Opinions

I don't see any problem regarding how casually the hosts might dress. You can't compare the QVC environment with that of news anchors (who have to deliver serious news) or most corporate environments. QVC looks to create an environment that is friendly and in your home, like a best friend visiting you -- not some sterile and distant business office. Employees in creative industries like advertising and fashion enjoy much looser dress codes, showing eclectic style and individuality. I liken the QVC environment to that. Nothing wrong with it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few days ago Shawn tried on a brown wig during its presentation and repeatedly asked for opinions after the vendor told her it looked great.  "how does it look?"  "maybe I'm just not used to it" I think it's part of her charm to act silly because as a 40 year old woman I'm sure she knows what looks good on her already and what doesn't.I enjoy her shows and will watch when ordinarily I wouldn't.  

Honored Contributor

@Mj12  @POOK @SaRina

As the article says many TV stations have strict dress codes.......

meteorologist at KOCO tells Tech Insider that there is a good reason they are wearing the same thing. Many TV stations have strict dress codes for what people can wear on-air.

"Many stations even have consultants that come in and tell you colors you should and shouldn't wear," said Shelby Hayes.

Meteorologists are subject to even more restrictions when they stand in front of green screens. Some of the technical requirements for overlaying forecast images of the screen mean they can't wear colors like green or blue.

http://q13fox.com/2015/11/23/the-reason-meteorologists-across-the-country-wear-the-same-dress/

We contacted our partner at KMGH Channel 7NEWS

Executive Producer Carl Bilek reported that the station does have a stylist/wardrobe consultant who reviews with them which colors, patterns and textures translate the best for high-definition cameras. He said not all stations in area are the same. Some require consultants to shop with their anchors and reporters; some stations pay for wardrobes, and others have

trade agreements with advertisers with the clothes later being returned or donated.

He said some stations have hair stylists and make-up artists. It all depends on their market size and station management, he said.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt - Not sure why you are addressing me with your last post. The article you reference is about television news anchors... and, as I've already said in my previous post, I agree tv news anchors should be held to a more formal dress as they are delivering hard news -- not to mention the technical reasons as outlined in the article.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Spurt - Not sure why you are addressing me with your last post. The article you reference is about television news anchors... and, as I've already said in my previous post, I agree tv news anchors should be held to a more formal dress as they are delivering hard news -- not to mention the technical reasons as outlined in the article.

@SaRina

I respect your opinion and thoughts but I think anyone thats on TV should be held to a higher standard not just news anchors....QVC's TV shows have the same challenges and tehnical requirements regarding colors, prints, designs etc etc for the clothing that people should and shouldn't wear and so it doesnt matter whether they are giving hard news or presenting a vacuum.....................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@SaRina

I respect your opinion and thoughts but I think anyone thats on TV should be held to a higher standard not just news anchors....QVC's TV shows have the same challenges and tehnical requirements regarding colors, prints, designs etc etc for the clothing that people should and shouldn't wear and so it doesnt matter whether they are giving hard news or presenting a vacuum.....................

Actually, I would think the technical issues would be significantly different for a news program with a static set than it is for a QVC show. Obviously, colors worn are not an issue on a QVC set as they would be for anchors. I could go on...

At any rate, I've stated my opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours. No need to try and prove anything, however. :-)

Honored Contributor

How did this turn into a post about newcasters and weather people?  They have a different type of job than a shopping channel host who should dress for the times to attract a younger customer and not have an antiquated boring dress code!!  Shopping from tv should be fun and not boring serious!!  They never are in front of green screen and the color of clothing they wear was never in question!   Some just want to  divert attention away from the real issue which is turning out to be a non issue except for a certain few who can't accept that times have changed and do not want to let go of the past ways of too serious dressing!!

Honored Contributor

Again, JMO newscasters aren't home shopping salespeople. No articles or stats needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

What QVC needs is a supervisor for the hosts who has some gumption.  It's obvious they're walking all over somebody with their demeanor and appearance.  

Hosts on other channels aren't nearly as loosey goosey as those on QVC.  For one thing, they need to knock off the phony hugging and kissing everyone.  Where I worked that stuff would get a stern sexual harrassment lecture, innocent though it might be. 

They need to quit the silly chitchat about friends and relatives, and try to impart some of what we need to know to make a buying decision.  Along that vein, the hosts should do their homework and be fully familiar with what they're selling.  Some obviously are seeing it for the first time when it's rolled out to be presented. 

I don't know that a formal dress code is necessary but there should be guidelines and common sense.  You don't wear ripped up jeans to present a vendor's sequins and applique type of clothing.   Your fingernail polish shouldn't outshine the jewels being shown. 

This shouldn't have to be mentioned but flirting with guests of the opposite sex,  comments loaded with sexual innuendo, and bathroom humor should be grounds for immediate termination. termination. 

These are just a few of my observed needs for improvement. 

@Kachina624

That fake air kissing makes me nauseous!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Seriously? No one has figured out yet that as far as the whines, shames and hysterical disgust regarding anything on-air, QVC listens to the cash register, NOT a handful of customers on their forums - nor ever will.

"They'd better" - or I won't buy, the business will fail because I think X dresses like a hooker, yadda yadda. Has had zero effect so far, so good luck with that.

They're trying hard to change their buying demographic. Those who find dress, hair, feet, toenails, etc so very offensive are no longer the targeted demographic. Lose 1,000 over-60 customers, gain 2000 under-40 customers and QVC is happy as a clam.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all