Respected Contributor

I never had a monkee crush but sounds like a good name for a Sonic drink.  

Trusted Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Hello, so they were not singing those songs on the show?  Were they not a real band that traveled around?

The vocals were always their own. I'm not sure who played what in concert. I'm sure someone else here knows.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Monkees

[ Edited ]

@daisyk wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Hello, so they were not singing those songs on the show?  Were they not a real band that traveled around?

The vocals were always their own. I'm not sure who played what in concert. I'm sure someone else here knows.

I've seen them in concert twice.  They sang and played instruments both times and they were great.  They had a couple of extra guitar players on stage too.  I've been to many concerts and that is not unusual, doesn't mean anything.  They just get a fuller sound in the venue.  

Mike and Peter always played instruments.  Mickey had to learn to play the drums for the show, which he did very well.  Davy was always a talented singer, as is Mickey.  

In the concert I went to with Mike Nesmith, one of the backing guitar players was his son. He introduced him to the crowd and was very proud of him.  

As far the television show goes, I think the producers used professional studio musicians for laying the song tracks.  That also is not unusual or unheard of for television, movies and even albums, but the group itself always did their own vocals.  Davy and Mickey both had wonderful voices. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, how my friends and I loved the Monkees.  The only problem was that I had two older siblings who didn't care for the teeny-bopper cuties and would call them the Skunkees.  I'd scream and cry and my mom would tell me to ignore them.  That's hard to do when you are 10.

Super Contributor

Check out Michael Nesmith on Facebook.  I always understood that he disliked his time involved with the show.  His Facebook page shows him to be a deep thinker and committed to his music. I think there have been a few reunion appearances.  I'd pay to go see one!

Respected Contributor

I still do love the Monkees! There's a reason they were called the"pre-fab four"  They were created to cash in on the Beatles popularity as a band and as a take off on the Hard Days Night movie.  Loved the show.  Especially the snipets at the end sometimes called " a minute short."  I still think they had one of the most  wonderful moments on television at the end to their Christmas episode.  They are the only ones I've seen to bring EVERYONE involved behind the sceens making the show in front of the camera.  You know you are a Monkees Fan when...  You sing "Pillow Time" as a lullaby.  And when your favourite cranky comeback is ...  "and the Same thing Goes for CHRISTMAS!"  that's from the Monkee movie Head.  NOTHING like the T.V. show AT ALL but worth a watch.  Gotta love 'em.  Remember "Keep off the GRASS!"

Honored Contributor

I watched their TV series back in the late 60's and loved it, but wasn't really into their music. I thought DJ was so cute and innocent at a time when we were being exposed to the s-xual revolution

Honored Contributor

Loved the Monkees the first year they were on!  I was in 7th grade and thought they were the best!  Fun to watch and their music was very catchy.  

If anyone remembers a TV show called "Circus Boy" from the late 50s Mickey Dolenz was the child actor in it.