Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Irony of Don't Text & Drive

@willdob3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I hear ya But, the back up screen is actually helpful for backing up. My husband says ,all the time ,how happy he is to have it

@cherry - I like the backup screen, too, but it is important to use it as a tool and not depend on it completely. Used as the tool it is meant to be it is great! 

- A friend who used to work for a car insurance company warned me about the backup camera; she said she saw many claims regarding accidents that happened because people were depending 100% on the camera/screen and not looking themselves.

@willdob3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I hear ya But, the back up screen is actually helpful for backing up. My husband says ,all the time ,how happy he is to have it

@cherry - I like the backup screen, too, but it is important to use it as a tool and not depend on it completely. Used as the tool it is meant to be it is great! 

- A friend who used to work for a car insurance company warned me about the backup camera; she said she saw many claims regarding accidents that happened because people were depending 100% on the camera/screen and not looking themselves.

Exactly.

That's why I don't like all of the electronic devices in vehicles today.

Think about it. We are controlled by electronic devices.

We use them at work, at home, and now in our vehicles.

We're too dependent on them.

How did we mange to drive before the inventions of these "must haves"?

We are slowly allwing ourselves to forget the basics of how to drive, and are allowing the vehicle to do the thinking for us.

No, when it comes to backing up, I trust myself. I use my mirrors, I look over my shoulder. 

No technology can beat that.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought the same thing when I see these brand new vehicles are set up to go on the Internet and all.

I guarantee there will be more and more accidents as time goes on.

We have a 3 year old Subaru. The rear camera isn't distracting, its helpful (at least ours is, its on the mirror no buttons to hit). Satellite radio/cd player check, works like a regular radio. Heated seats button between the seats, no issue. Etc.

But surfing the net while driving? (which our car can not do), RIDICULOUS!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

The new devices in my new car are a Godsend to me!  I am short, but now the side and back cameras make it much safer for me to change lanes by letting me whether something is in a blind spot or not.

I LOVE being able to answer the phone without looking at anything or call someone through the voice command on the steering wheel.

The map helps me not get lost maybe in a bad neighborhood and alerts me to traffic slow downs, letting me get off and take another route many times that saves me a lot of time.  

It also gives me road hazard alerts and weather information--which can be life or death where I live.

And the seats warm or cool me!  The bluetooth lets me listen to MY music when I drive!  Sirus gives me the watercolors chanel that plays great light jazz while I drive and I love it, and a lot of the other channels. 

The keyless entry is the best thing since sliced bread!  

Esteemed Contributor

It seems like distracted driving is a relevant thing dependant on who is preaching the sermon.

Respected Contributor

I like the backup camera too.  In my car, Toyota hybrid, you can't enter any data into the navigation system unless you are completely stopped and the car is in park.

And as to the satellite radio, etc., people used to get just as distracted trying to manually find stations on the radio (when they weren't preset - or when out of town and looking for stations.)  And as already noted, dealing with passengers - especially children, eating, putting on makeup, etc. is also very distracting.

Actually, it wasn't  but a couple of years ago that we were rear ended while stopped at a traffic light by a woman who was trying to read a paper map in her lap.

I don't know how you get people to understand how dangereous it is to take your eyes off the road to attend to all these different things.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer - 

GPS is one thing I feel is important. I don't use the one on my car but I keep my iPhone connected via Bluetooth and the GPS on my phone goes through the cars speakers. I always hated driving places with printed out directions and a map next to me. Driving and reading don't mix well. 

I don't answer phone calls or text while driving. People I talk to the most have their own ringtones so I can tell who is calling by that. I recently activated the option on my phone to have the caller announced so anyone on my contacts list is announced when the call comes in. No need to look at the phone or answer it.  If I think it is important I just stop somewhere, check voicemail, and call the person back. It is rare that anything is so important it can't wait until I get home.

I listen to Pandora radio while driving and really enjoy having that. It is another reason I like having my cell phone connected to the car.

Respected Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer - 

GPS is one thing I feel is important. I don't use the one on my car but I keep my iPhone connected via Bluetooth and the GPS on my phone goes through the cars speakers. I always hated driving places with printed out directions and a map next to me. Driving and reading don't mix well. 

I don't answer phone calls or text while driving. People I talk to the most have their own ringtones so I can tell who is calling by that. I recently activated the option on my phone to have the caller announced so anyone on my contacts list is announced when the call comes in. No need to look at the phone or answer it.  If I think it is important I just stop somewhere, check voicemail, and call the person back. It is rare that anything is so important it can't wait until I get home.

I listen to Pandora radio while driving and really enjoy having that. It is another reason I like having my cell phone connected to the car.

@willdob3

I like GPS  too.  I could never try to read a paper map while driving - seems very dangerous to me.

One thing I also like about the GPS map is that not only does it tell me when to turn, etc., but I can also see the streets - which at night are often easier to see on the screen if the street signs are not well lit. (I look at it when I'm stopped - not while I am driving.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I thought the same thing when I see these brand new vehicles are set up to go on the Internet and all.

I guarantee there will be more and more accidents as time goes on.

We have a 3 year old Subaru. The rear camera isn't distracting, its helpful (at least ours is, its on the mirror no buttons to hit). Satellite radio/cd player check, works like a regular radio. Heated seats button between the seats, no issue. Etc.

But surfing the net while driving? (which our car can not do), RIDICULOUS!

This is for the passangers not the driver.  Just like the DVD players installed in cars for years. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I'm at the dealership for service, DS tags along as he's spending the weekend. He decides to test drive a new pickup truck so I hop in for the drive.

Nice pickup truck, right up front is a navigation screen, at least 7" and bright!  Oh, don't want a nav screen? How about the backup camera screen? How about satellite radio screen?  How about your temp comfort screen? How about 4 USB ports to plug in all the devices you take with you but you shouldn't use while driving?

Couldn't find a logical way to shut it all off.  Had to be THE most annoying, attention grabbing distraction, ever!

But don't text & drive. Too distracting!

@Snowpuppy  That's exactly why I still drive my 1989 white firebird and DH drives his 1996 Dodge Avenger & his Dad's 1997 Chevy truck...

We just can't see ourselves using all the extra tech stuff. One would think of coarse it's too distracting...and why oh why is it even necessary?!

And don't forget...all those vehicles on the road now that are 'driverless'...yes, it's true. I saw a clip on a news station showing there was a truck driver in the passenger seat...nobody in the driver's seat and the 18 wheeler going down a busy highway...

Honestly, wouldn't that freak anyone out if you looked over to the next lane and see a car passing you with no driver?  dahblink.gif

Seems more like a made for tv movie becoming 'reality tv...coming to your favorite streaming station to you soon...