Honored Contributor

Re: The Great British Baking Show

On 2/2/2015 hennypenny said:

Watched last night with my youngest son. He wants to try his hand at a dobos torte. Good luck!

I wish him luck. My father loved Dobos Torte and always ordered one from Swiss Colony. Who knew they were so involved.

I love the way the Brits say "sponge" and not sponge cake.

I wondered about the Princess cake. Chetna said she was going to use both her attempts at the sponge. I thought if you made a second attempt, you could not use the first. You had to cut all layers from only one attempt.

Trusted Contributor

I bet Norman was glad he went home the week before,lol. I don't think he could have handled last nights tasks Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/1/2015 lulu2 said:
On 2/1/2015 hennypenny said:

I love the show! Wish they would do a non dessert show too.

The pies in the 3 tier pie competition were certainly non dessert. I cannot imagine venison and haggis together in a pie.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I can honestly say I've never seen a 3 tier pie.

Not all were savory. That was quite a task they were given and a bit odd, perhaps by American standards. Frankly, I don't think that one of them was outstanding. I'm going to have to reference "hot water pastry," as that's something new to me and sounded kind of weird.

The poached pear wrapped in puff pastry was a real challenge. My husband asked me how they could tell if the pear was at the correct stage while poaching and I said I'd get my vegetable knife, which is curved and serrated, and slip it into the pear looking for resistance. Anyway, thought that was a real challenge.

Am rooting for Martha, as she's the youngest at 18 and has not only skills on board, but some great common sense and creativity going on, for her age.

Can't wait for next week.

Trusted Contributor

Spud, I would not mind an oven like the ones that they have on this show.

In fact, I was thinking about it, too, when you mentioned it (how nice it would be to have one). I wouldn't mind a proofing drawer like that when you need one for making breads or other types of rolls, etc., that call for a warm place so that they can rise.

Honored Contributor

I love this show. I think it's great. I love how the oven door just slides into the oven and out of the way. That's a pretty neat feature. Martha's my favorite so far. The whole group is good though. The two at risk this week had been among the best, so you never know what will happen.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

My 5 year old granddaughter watches the show with her mother during the week.,she told me last week she wants to be a taster. You can download the PBS icon and watch the show at your leisure. I think Nancy will win, she is all around the best baker.
Super Contributor

I love watching competition shows without commercial interruption.

A close friend is Swedish. For her birthday she had a princess cake. It was delicious.

The star of the episode seems to have a terrible follow-up.