Honored Contributor

The Deer's Cry.... St Patrick's breastplate

[ Edited ]

I hope you enjoy this. It's quite beautiful

snip

Patrick made this hymn; in the time of Loegaire mac Neill, it was made, and the cause of its composition was for the protection of himself and his monks against the deadly enemies that lay in ambush for the clerics.

Patrick sang it when the ambuscades were laid for him by Loegaire, in order that he should not go to Tara to sow the Faith, so that on that occasion they were seen before those who were lying in ambush as if they were wild deer having behind them a fawn, viz. Benen; and 'Dear's Cry' is its name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJx_Lu4PymE

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Deer's Cry.... St Patrick's breastplate

[ Edited ]

That is very beautifully rendered (besides the text!)!

Where did you find the history of this? Who were the deadly enemies?

When I typed in St. Patrick's Breastplate, a whole other song came up, which sounds more in the Middle Ages genre.

In any event, are there several versions of St. Patrick? (Obviously, my St. Patrick history is lacking!)

---Never mind! I think I got his story now!

Thanks for sharing that song!

Honored Contributor

The enemies of St Patrick were the Druids. The king was a pagan , and I think ,was converted by St Patrick

Type the first line of what you want to know into google. I left some  of the more religious stuff out so I wouldn't violate standards @Harpa

Respected Contributor

@cherry, that was beautiful.  When they show Angelina in modern times, the camera pans to her right hand and shows a bright gold ring: is there significance of the ring and where she is wearing it?

Her voice is beautiful and the backdrop was stunning.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2  I honestly don't know the  back story to the ring. It might be a purity ring of some type

She looks and sings, just like an angel

Honored Contributor

@cherry

Thank you SO much for sharing this! It is lovely.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

My students would pick a line from the Breastplate and ilustrate it as I taught the life of St. Patrick.

1 child chose Christ above me and drew a rainbow of different colored rainbows and many people of diverse backgrounds looking up.

It is a beautiful prayer, as is the Deer's Cry; I hope to have it played at my requiem service (no, I'm not going anywhere as yet).

Respected Contributor

@cherry, I researched purity rings briefly: from what I read, they are worn on the same finger as you would wear an engagement ring or wedding band.

Now I am really curious: I am not a jewelry enthusiast by any stretch, but there has to be a significance to the camera panning on it....

In my knowledge, I was taught by nuns and lay sisters, but they wore their rings the same place we do.....

Could I possibly find the answer on an apologetics site???

I do have a theory...just as there were monasteries, there had to be nuns, but we are all aware of the horrendous things that were done to women: nobody was safe.... I am wondering if there was a time in history where Irish women wore their wedding bands on their right hands-and consequently, so did nuns.....I have no idea if there were lay sisters then.....

I can think of reasons why wedding bands are worn on left hands: it's more practical in a right handed world.  It's a fairly new concept that being left handed is not the sign of the devil....

Later, I'm going to post on the jewelry forum about the history of wedding rings.....and I want to read the comments on the video and see if anybody noticed what I did.....

Once again, this was beautiful.....Do you ever watch "The Joy of Music" on EWTN? I don't know what is more dazzling: the cathedrals she is at, the organs she plays.....or the dazzling outfits she wears.....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2  you might be able to find an answer on an apologetics  site.

It could be  it was a gift, or belonged to  someone else and  she did't want to get it sized.  I knew a handsome young priest that did marathons and he always wore a wedding band  because , he wasn't in his collar and it showed he was taken

Yes I have watched the Joy of Music. We wear a wedding ring on our left hand ,because it is the closest side to our heart

Honored Contributor

I just did a little research. It might be a promise ring. They can be worn on any finger