Honored Contributor

Re: That's what you get for raiding the office fridge!

@Suziepeach - I wasn't trying to offend....just the exlax segued into this discussion.....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

Putting ex lax in food intentionally seems so mean.  

Not 'seems'....it IS.

Can't believe posters are in a pi$$ing contest as to 

"Who Can Be the Creepiest".

Food Tampering can have serious legal implications.

Illegal acts, as innocent as they may seen to some, have to begin somewhere.  If someone tampers with food, there's no telling what else this could lead to.  

These tampering posts upthread are very, very telling.

ITA - they are.  And what if the person got sick?  What if there is some ingredient in the 'brownies' post (which I can't find now) that caused someone to become really ill?  I doubt any supervisor ok'd that idea.

Honored Contributor

Why not just bring your own lunch in a cooler bag?  Check out Google . . . even Rachel Ray sells one.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

Not 'seems'....it IS.

Illegal acts, as innocent as they may seen to some, have to begin somewhere.  If someone tampers with food, there's no telling what else this could lead to.  

ITA - they are.  And what if the person got sick?  What if there is some ingredient in the 'brownies' post (which I can't find now) that caused someone to become really ill?  I doubt any supervisor ok'd that idea.

So can leaving a mouse trap in your purse that breaks the fingers of a person trying to steal your wallet. The question is: who was wrong? The theif or the person protecting their property? (ethic question is graduate school)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

Not 'seems'....it IS.

So can leaving a mouse trap in your purse that breaks the fingers of a person trying to steal your wallet. The question is: who was wrong? The theif or the person protecting their property? (ethic question is graduate school)

Looking quickly (sorry if I just missed it),  I'm not sure where the Ex-Lax in brownies came into play, but I've read before about people being charged and convicted for it.   That, and @SahmIam's question about the mouse trap have me wondering, though.   It seems like 2 illegal acts, in a way...  baiting someone to steal in a way which could cause physical harm vs. the person committing a crime by taking something that's not rightfully theirs?   I don't know the answer.   Interesting thread, interesting dilemma.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo - hi,  it seems to be gone now (not poofed, just gone) a poster here posted that she put exlax in brownies at work, hoping a "food thief" would be taught a lesson. She laughed about it. 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@dooBdoo - hi,  it seems to be gone now (not poofed, just gone) a poster here posted that she put exlax in brownies at work, hoping a "food thief" would be taught a lesson. She laughed about it. 

Hi, @Mj12!   (Love your siggy, btw.)   Ah, so!   Thanks for the explanation.   Yikes! on the Ex-Lax in brownies at work...   worrisome concept. 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I can't imagine a manager being okay with the ex lax in the brownies either.  That's alarming....

Respected Contributor

Ethical questions and legal issues are not always the same.

Leaving a mousetrap in your purse, would not be illegal.

You would have a very difficult time proving intent, and I do not believe it would fall under negligence either.  

I did not approach the exlax story from an ethical standpoint, although, in that case, it is ethically and legally questionable.

Esteemed Contributor

Wherever I've worked,I've never used the fridge in the breakroom.  Always brought things that didn't need refrigeration or bought from the vending machine.  Those fridges...eww.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth