Honored Contributor

Re: That's what you get for raiding the office fridge!

@dooBdoo The mousetrap question  was one of the more interesting (aka loud and emotional) question/debates in my Ethics class. It came down to expectiations which is often discussed in a courtroom during a trial.

*does the person have the expectation that they can leave their purse with money in it in their office/workplace and not be robbed

*does a thief have the expectation that they can rob but not suffer physical harm

*does society have the expectation that just because something is there, it WILL be stolen

and so on.

Like I said, it was one of the more loudly discussed questions.

BTW: it would not be considered baiting, in this instance. Yes, someone brought that up. Why? Too long, too much to type out. : )

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

The refrigerator scenario is nothing like the purse scenario.   

One is public domain & the other is personal property.

How about the illustration of:

Storing a box of tampons in a women's work restroom.

Unless your name is written on the wrapper on every single tampon, thus making each tampon your personal property, it's communal property.

In regards to the OP (legally...if really happened), the note says 'all week".

For illustration purposes we'll say Monday-Friday.

She cleverly stored a bodily fluid in communal property.  

On Monday it was fine.  

The question of legal ramifications sets in on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

She knew it was touched on Tuesday so it was HER decision to continue the ruse for four full days, possibly giving someone an infectious disease (HIV, hepatitis).  The legality is based upon her intent. 

Now, I don't believe for a minute there was actual milk in that bottle.

I don't even believe there was a scenario of someone taking anything.

This gal just wrote something on a post-it note, slapped it on her home creamer, snapped & posted a pic, then sat back & watch the interweb buzz.  I think it's just a bit to drive up her Facebook hits, but the "breast milk in the creamer" story sure has brought up many different angles. 

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Why not just bring your own lunch in a cooler bag?  Check out Google . . . even Rachel Ray sells one.

Hi @LilacTree,

Some of us mentioned having to do this, when our lunches/items were being repeatedly stolen from our lunches out of the office refrigerators.

I started to bring my lunch to work in a thermal cooler bag after that, with a gel freezer pack.

That way, I could lock up my lunch without having to wonder if anyone would have access to it. It was still cool enough by the time that I would eat it, too.

Respected Contributor

something tells me after all of this...........that kid is probably weaned by now......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam

Unless your name is written on the wrapper on every single tampon, thus making each tampon your personal property, it's communal property.

On Monday it was fine.  

The question of legal ramifications sets in on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

She knew it was touched on Tuesday so it was HER decision to continue the ruse for four full days, possibly giving someone an infectious disease (HIV, hepatitis).  The legality is based upon her intent. 

This gal just wrote something on a post-it note, slapped it on her home creamer, snapped & posted a pic, then sat back & watch the interweb buzz.  I think it's just a bit to drive up her Facebook hits, but the "breast milk in the creamer" story sure has brought up many different angles. 

@sidsmom

No, that's not right.   If I deliberately leave any items, such as tampons or hairspray, in the ladies room, they don't automatically become community and free to all,  just because they aren't labeled.   They are still mine.    

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam

On Monday it was fine.  

Incorrect. And believe me, I was shocked to learn that. Again, it all comes down to expectations and social norms, etc.

If a thief breaks into your house and is injured, he/she has the right to sue you in many states. Often a homeowner does not have the right to any type of force to protect themselves. Expectations; it's a fascinating aspect of ethics and how a law in interpreted.

Like the wise person told me earlier "there is common sense and there is the law. Rarely do the two meet."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam

On Monday it was fine.  

Incorrect. And believe me, I was shocked to learn that. Again, it all comes down to expectations and social norms, etc.

If a thief breaks into your house and is injured, he/she has the right to sue you in many states. Often a homeowner does not have the right to any type of force to protect themselves. Expectations; it's a fascinating aspect of ethics and how a law in interpreted.

Your house is personal property.  Using your example to relate back to the creamer, the creamer bottle was not labeled with a name, thus communal property.  

Once the lady placed the post-it note on the creamer bottle, it became her personal domain & the thief then has the right to sue if an infectious disease occurs after drinking said liquid. 

I think we all agree office break rooms & refrigerators...and microwaves (!)...are just nasty icky!

Like I said upthread, it's an interesting topic w/ many different sides.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam

On Monday it was fine.  

@sidsmom

No, that's not right.   If I deliberately leave any items, such as tampons or hairspray, in the ladies room, they don't automatically become community and free to all,  just because they aren't labeled.   They are still mine.    

So does that mean it's ok for us to leave

our possessions out in the open anywhere?

And everybody has to leave them alone 

even tho they dont know who they belong to

or if they're out in a common use or 

public place for everyone?

Ive read about people leaving things out

and about for others to pick up and keep,

but this sounds like if anybody did pick it

up and keep it they'd be a criminal?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam

On Monday it was fine.  

@sidsmom

So does that mean it's ok for us to leave

our possessions out in the open anywhere?

And everybody has to leave them alone 

even tho they dont know who they belong to

or if they're out in a common use or 

public place for everyone?

Ive read about people leaving things out

and about for others to pick up and keep,

but this sounds like if anybody did pick it

up and keep it they'd be a criminal?

If my professor (Ethics and Criminal Reasoning) was correct, the answer is Yes. (which was part of the thought process behind my post to Sidsmom). Once upon a time, the behavior of "don't touch UNLESS it's yours" was the norm in society (I was taught that. No, it was DRILLED into me you NEVER touch what doesn't belong to you). The circumstances didn't matter; unless YOUR name is on it, you don't touch it, use it, take it, etc.

At some point, that attitude, the norm changed. Now it's like "you leave it out there, you're a fool and deserve whatever happens to you". Why is that? WHen did it change? My sons are taught what I was taught. Do they abide by it? I sincerely hope so.

Again, it's a fascinating topic/question.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam

On Monday it was fine.  

Your house is personal property.  Using your example to relate back to the creamer, the creamer bottle was not labeled with a name, thus communal property.  

Once the lady placed the post-it note on the creamer bottle, it became her personal domain & the thief then has the right to sue if an infectious disease occurs after drinking said liquid. 

I think we all agree office break rooms & refrigerators...and microwaves (!)...are just nasty icky!

Like I said upthread, it's an interesting topic w/ many different sides.

Uh, no.  I'd love to hear what Judge Judy thought about that, lol.

I would never assume anything without a name on it was mine to use or have access to.