Super Contributor

Re: That's what you get for raiding the office fridge!

He he, the saying goes that "revenge is a dish best served cold" and in this case it actually was!!!

If she did put her breast milk in her container AND it was known throughout the office or even labelled with her name (it's not stated in the original post if people knew it was hers), I think the sign was perfectly fine, actually made me laugh out loud when I read it.

You can't tamper with your own food.  Besides, (if she actually did it) it was breast milk, not cyanide.

I remember working in an office where we had at least one known food thief and he was an executive stealing subordinates' food and thought it was funny.  Wrong or not, I really think he deserved an extra large ex-lax brownie.

In the same office during a potluck I had just opened my crockpot of curried chicken which I had made as my contribution just to stir it.  Well, another executive walked right up to it, right in front of me and STUCK HIS FINGER IN IT FOR A TASTE and walked off!!!!! I was livid and then proceeded to scoop out the section where he had left his "indentation."

Frankly, some people are just selfish pigs and should get what they deserve.

Honored Contributor

I am amazed that people think it's ok to touch/take what isn't theirs. That lesson got lost along the way somewhere. I would think people at their job, would know better.

Trusted Contributor

We have a small kitchen in the building where I work and it's used by all employees. 

One day, a co-worker put three slices of pizzeria pizza, wrapped in foil, in the oven to heat for his lunch. He walked away for a few minutes, just long enough to buy a soda from the machine. Came back, took his pizza out of the oven, and realized that, just that quickly, somebody else had opened the oven door and removed one slice of pizza. At least he left the other two slices for my co-worker.

That's the kind of stuff that happens in the kitchen quite often. Thngs will disappear from the fridge regularly.

I have a small fridge under my desk in my office for my water, yogurt, and diet sodas. I bring my lunch to work and keep it in my fridge. My co-worker brought his own fridge into work, too. We also brought our own Keurig into work and keep it in my co-worker's office. And we keep our doors locked.

It's not OK to steal. 

Honored Contributor

Many years ago, my DH worked with a food thief. This guy would actually open lunch bags in the fridge and take items from anyone he wanted.

Sometimed it was the drink, other times it was the whole lunch. He really seemed to like my DH's lunches because items went missing daily.

To stop it, hubby put tons of salt in his ice tea instead of sugar. The thief would stop for a week or so, but he always came back.

My hubby made dog food salad with mayo, pickles and celery for sandwiches and this guy must have liked them, because he stole them all week.

Finally, it stopped when the co-workers called this guy out in during an office meeting. My DH told the thief during the meeting that his dog's sandwiches went missing and the thief never flinched.

My hubby told me that this dame guy would hunt through the trash and eat any thrown away food. He especially liked pizza crust. Yuck!

And no, this guy wasn't poor. He made over 6 figures back in the 80's.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hahaha @Carmie your DH is a very imaginative man!

But please don't leave us hanging.  Did he stop stealing food and drink?  The guy sounds pathological to me, especially digging in the trash for pizza crust, YUCK!

I have never touched someone else's food and actually was raised to not even eat after others.  Many times certain people have offered me a bite of their sandwich or one person even offered me a lick off their ice cream cone. Double YUCK.  One person who did this even laughed and said "Go on, have a bite, I don't have germs."  I was thinking, well if you don't have germs then you're dead since we all have germs.

Kudos to your hubby and coworkers for calling him out.

Respected Contributor

Somehow, I doubt she had breast milk in that bottle. She could be pumping at work, but I just don't think she put the breast milk in a Natural Bliss bottle. Creative way to get someone to stop stealing her coffee creamer though.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Toppers - I used to do exactly the same thing.  Took my lunch and milk for my tea in a cooler bag with ice packs.  That way I kept it at my desk and knew no one else had touched it.  Sad though that you and I had to resort to things like that.

Here's a "funny" story for you:  when I left that job, the small team I was on took me to lunch, then told me they'd bought an ice cream cake from DQ to have later.  In the afternoon, we gathered in the small staff lounge and one person went down to the room with the fridge to get the cake.  Came back empty-handed!!!  Apparently, "someone" had decided that the cake would "melt" and thought they'd better "dispose" of it.....so they had it for their own little group!  (And, yes, when confronted they admitted it and that was their excuse.  Even though it was in the freezer!)

I don't regret leaving that job or the workplace.  Left a few good colleagues behind, but even more I'd rather forget.

Hi @Venezia,

I am so sorry that someone ate that cake that was supposed to be for your group. Smiley Sad

I never ceased to be amazed at what some people will do to others. I shouldn't be surprised, but I still am. Unbelievable.

Yeah, it's too bad that some of us have had to resort to leaving the office fridge behind because of what had happened to us. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

As for storing breast milk in a community refrigerator, breast milk is a bodily fluid.   Now for all the people thinking, 'it's just breast milk..the most beautiful natural thing...what's the big deal?", let's add a 'what if'.  She has hepatitis and/or HIV positive...I have a feeling all these 'it's just' responses would be silenced.   Urine, feces, blood, pus, mucus...and yes, even breast milk, has no business being next to my food. 

I realize this creamer/post-it note thing is just made up, but you KNOW, somewhere out there, this is happening in real time in an office as we speak. 

And as for the people PURPOSEFULLY tainting their food to stop an office thief?  Payback's a bi*ch...but it won't be done by the offender....it'll be done by someone much higher on the spiritual food chain.   Good luck.

@sidsmom

It was a community refrigerator, but is was a PERSONAL creamer.   People who steal their co-worker's food items deserve what they get.

Honored Contributor

I haven't experienced food theft in my work fridge, but I have seen some old disgusting things in there. I put my name on anything I leave in there.  I also put a note saying "help yourself" if I am willing to share or don't want it. This past year I bought a small personal refrigerator for my room that I use for my drinks, lunches, etc.  I sometimes still need to use the office fridge for larger items.

Respected Contributor

Genius idea

Bravo to the woman who was of tired of someone stealing her creamer. Brahahahaha Smiley LOL