Honored Contributor

Re: That's It I'm done. No more debit card!

I don't understand.  Credit Cards get hacked too, more so than debit cards.  The problem isn't the card, it's who you shopped with or gave the card number to.  I purposely use my debit cards that are not linked to my bank accounts, I have two;   because if someone hacks my debit card they can only get the money that I put on the card.  They can't get into my bank account or ruin my credit.  I never...ever use my credit card or bank atm card at doctor's offices or dentist offices because those places are hot spots for debit card/credit card theft.

Respected Contributor

Companies are required by law to report breeches that may compromise personal information.   To be honest...it could be something as simple as a company computer got stolen/lost.  Doesn't mean your actual info is on it for anyone to view but the potential is there if the person has access to company software/codes/passwords etc.  These types of compromises happen more than we know.  I think we are fortunate that banking companies are quick to reissue cards before any real damage can be done.  

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

I have never paid bills by going to,the creditor's website and initiating payment there rather than initiating payment through my bank's bill pay option.  WHy?  BEcause when you pay on line through the receipent's web site you are entering your bank information into their computer system. NOw that creditor has your bank routing number and account number in their computer data base.  IF their  data bases are hacked as so many have been what is to prevent the hackers from getting into your bank account.   THe fewer places you can get away with giving that sort of information to the better off you are.  I don't trust any entity to keep my information safe so the fewer places it resides in the better.

@KathyPet, was begging the Q to take Pay Pal.  They take Pay Pal Credit, but I don't have or want that.

If you have a PP debit card, it's perfectly good on the Q.

Thanks for the heads up @noodleann.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't understand.  Credit Cards get hacked too, more so than debit cards.  The problem isn't the card, it's who you shopped with or gave the card number to.  I purposely use my debit cards that are not linked to my bank accounts, I have two;   because if someone hacks my debit card they can only get the money that I put on the card.  They can't get into my bank account or ruin my credit.  I never...ever use my credit card or bank atm card at doctor's offices or dentist offices because those places are hot spots for debit card/credit card theft.

That's right.  It's thieving.....period.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i use my debit card visa quite frequently and almost always have it with me. i have had two problems over the years and the bank handled it all quickly.

sorry for all of you that have had numerous problems.

Same here, Sunshine. I use mine almost every time I shop, anywhere I go, and very rarely carry much cash. I put the card in my pocket, along with my keys, and away I go. I can't remember a time when I didn't use my debit card. I guess I'm lucky to never have had a problem.

The closest to a problem I ever had with my credit card was when purchasing a battery for my car from AAA around Christmastime. For some reason the bank thought someone was making an unauthorized purchase and refused to clear it. Luckily I had other means to pay. I had been buying gifts all season long, but for some reason, the battery put them on alert. Go figure.

Anyway, Lipstick, I hope you have better luck in the future. You've been through a lot. 

Respected Contributor

My bank noe encourages the use of an app called Card Valet. I don't know if anyone can use it or you have to use a bank that uses it.  Anyway you can turn your debit card on and off at anytime so it can't be used. You can also set parameters by zip code if you want. So that it can only be used in that area for a day or hours or whatever.  Very convenient.  

Esteemed Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

My bank noe encourages the use of an app called Card Valet. I don't know if anyone can use it or you have to use a bank that uses it.  Anyway you can turn your debit card on and off at anytime so it can't be used. You can also set parameters by zip code if you want. So that it can only be used in that area for a day or hours or whatever.  Very convenient.  

How cool ist that?  Thanks for sharing @meem120.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

People need to get their acts together and know about scams? Are you kidding me with that broad statement?

I happen to have MY act together..am VERY well informed about scams and make my OWN choices..not having some stranger on a shopping site tell people to get their act together.

I have a debit card..and use it for everything and have had the compromised letter..It is a PIA to change things but it is what it is today.  As for paying bills. I do go to the website and pay...and I have my act together thank you very much. I have yet to have any issue with doing so.

Geesh..I find such board statements offensive. We are adults and I have my act together..financially and professionally.

What people choose to do is what works for them. I do not find anybody wrong or tell them to get their act together because I choose to do it differently.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva, you've had that happen so many times now. 

Can the bank tell you how they think you are being compromised?  Is there a pattern they can figure out. 

I only use cash at the gas station now.  It's a pain, but it seems like that's an easy target. 

Trusted Contributor

someone used my Debit card for 3 catalog purchases in November,we caught it as we never shop that Store Harbor Frieght,totaled $400+ . Notified the bank and Visa of the fraud. Harbor Frieght is disputing saying we did make the purchases. Now it  is going thru a dispute process,here we are almost in March and that amount is still on our bill.