Honored Contributor

Re: That's It I'm done. No more debit card!

@Tribesters wrote:

I only use my debit card at the ATM & use credit cards for online purchases. I don't think a credit card will solve your problem. My Discover card "may have been compromised" so they sent me a new one. I activated it a couple days ago- have not even used it yet. Received an email from Discover that my info "may have been compromised" and they are sending a new card. This was for the card I just received & never used. Seems like this is getting to be a routine occurrence & can happen whether you have debit or credit. 

Yeah I know there is a chance it could happen but if it does happen, at least it won't be out of my checking account.  This time nothing happened but more than once money was actually taken out of my checking account. 

I thought those RFID chips were supposed to be so much safer?  Doesn't really look like it's working.  My newest debit card has that chip and I'm guessing your card did too.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

I have never paid bills by going to,the creditor's website and initiating payment there rather than initiating payment through my bank's bill pay option.  WHy?  BEcause when you pay on line through the receipent's web site you are entering your bank information into their computer system. NOw that creditor has your bank routing number and account number in their computer data base.  IF their  data bases are hacked as so many have been what is to prevent the hackers from getting into your bank account.   THe fewer places you can get away with giving that sort of information to the better off you are.  I don't trust any entity to keep my information safe so the fewer places it resides in the better.

@KathyPet

ITA ......   I woud NEVER go to a creditor's site to pay a bill, either.    OMG ....   What are people thinking?

I use my Debit card for the ATM, period.   I use cash for many purchases.   I use a CC for large purchases and "emergency" type purchases.

BY THE WAY .............   In the past, I've had my debit card compromised THREE TIMES ...... and each time, the only retail purchases I had made were at Target!!!    That's when I stopped using it for everything but the ATM.

People need to get their act together and get up to speed with all the scams out there!

OMG calm down.  You are so over the top sometimes. 

Respected Contributor

I stopped using my debit card at the grocery store last year. Just didn't feel it's secure with all of the skimming. I asked my bank if they could de-activate the debit feature the said no. I asked for a separate atm only card and I use that for cash at my bank. I now charge everything.

Even though my cc has been compromised more than once, it's less of a hassle than having my bank account tied up while the theft is investigated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva

OMG, I am calm.   And I wasn't even talking to you.   Just surprised at what people DON'T know about managing their money ....  and online payment vulnerabilities.    That first post was a real doozy!   lol  Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

I've been using a debit card for many years and it's been compromised only once.  I guess I should count myself lucky!

Trusted Contributor

Both my husband's and mine (different dates) Costco Citibank had fradulent charges.  Before that it was my husband credit union ATM debit card.  It happens.

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

I have never paid bills by going to,the creditor's website and initiating payment there rather than initiating payment through my bank's bill pay option.  WHy?  BEcause when you pay on line through the receipent's web site you are entering your bank information into their computer system. NOw that creditor has your bank routing number and account number in their computer data base.  IF their  data bases are hacked as so many have been what is to prevent the hackers from getting into your bank account.   THe fewer places you can get away with giving that sort of information to the better off you are.  I don't trust any entity to keep my information safe so the fewer places it resides in the better.

@KathyPet, was begging the Q to take Pay Pal.  They take Pay Pal Credit, but I don't have or want that.

If you have a PP debit card, it's perfectly good on the Q.

Honored Contributor

I stopped using my debit card last May I think. When I need cash, I write a check and cash it at the bank (gasp!) and then keep the cash at home and draw from that. I don't miss using my debit card at all. We pay for all other stuff with either our Discover or my American Express card and pay the bill when it comes in. 

We pay all of our bills the old fashioned way. Bill comes by mail, we write a check and mail it in. 

I stopped using my debit card because I felt it was just too risky. The less people with access to my account, the better. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

@KathyPet

ITA ......   I woud NEVER go to a creditor's site to pay a bill, either.    OMG ....   What are people thinking?

I use my Debit card for the ATM, period.   I use cash for many purchases.   I use a CC for large purchases and "emergency" type purchases.

BY THE WAY .............   In the past, I've had my debit card compromised THREE TIMES ...... and each time, the only retail purchases I had made were at Target!!!    That's when I stopped using it for everything but the ATM.

People need to get their act together and get up to speed with all the scams out there!

OMG calm down.  You are so over the top sometimes. 

Yes please!

Lecturing people is of no help. Offer up what you know and help others out without the judgement.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

OMG, I am calm.   And I wasn't even talking to you.   Just surprised at what people DON'T know about managing their money ....  and online payment vulnerabilities.    That first post was a real doozy!   lol  Woman LOL

Boy, it must be wonderful to be the brightest bulb in the pack.