Super Contributor

Re: That's It I'm done. No more debit card!

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

I have never paid bills by going to,the creditor's website and initiating payment there rather than initiating payment through my bank's bill pay option.  WHy?  BEcause when you pay on line through the receipent's web site you are entering your bank information into their computer system. NOw that creditor has your bank routing number and account number in their computer data base.  IF their  data bases are hacked as so many have been what is to prevent the hackers from getting into your bank account.   THe fewer places you can get away with giving that sort of information to the better off you are.  I don't trust any entity to keep my information safe so the fewer places it resides in the better.

@KathyPet

ITA ......   I woud NEVER go to a creditor's site to pay a bill, either.    OMG ....   What are people thinking?

I use my Debit card for the ATM, period.   I use cash for many purchases.   I use a CC for large purchases and "emergency" type purchases.

BY THE WAY .............   In the past, I've had my debit card compromised THREE TIMES ...... and each time, the only retail purchases I had made were at Target!!!    That's when I stopped using it for everything but the ATM.

People need to get their act together and get up to speed with all the scams out there!

@Tinkrbl44

I used my debit card once at Target.  The transaction sailed through its system without asking me to confirm with a pin number.  That turned it into a credit card anyone could use.  No protection there!

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I have never paid bills by going to,the creditor's website and initiating payment there rather than initiating payment through my bank's bill pay option.  WHy?  BEcause when you pay on line through the receipent's web site you are entering your bank information into their computer system. NOw that creditor has your bank routing number and account number in their computer data base.  IF their  data bases are hacked as so many have been what is to prevent the hackers from getting into your bank account.   THe fewer places you can get away with giving that sort of information to the better off you are.  I don't trust any entity to keep my information safe so the fewer places it resides in the better.

@KathyPet, was begging the Q to take Pay Pal.  They take Pay Pal Credit, but I don't have or want that.

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

I had used my Discovercard for a purchase that had 3 ezpays and when the 2nd payment was trying to process Discovercard overreacted which is what they frequently do these days and wouldn't process it.  I switched to another card when I realized that is their new normal.   When I go to a restaurant I never use a debit card, same at a gas station...it's always cash or a cc card with a really low open to  buy.  I have one that is always asking me to update my information so they can increase the limit but I don't want it increased as it's just for local shopping and eats.  Not good to have thousands of dollars open to buy on your cc when you have no intention of racking it up.  

Super Contributor

Also, the problem with using your bank's online pay system is if for any reason payment is delayed that's on you.  If their system is down when your payment is supposed to happen, you will incur a late fee.  I don't trust anyone to make a payment on my behalf and I've never been hacked online.  Offline yes.  I went to our vet and paid $500 with a cc and less than a month later found an odd charge which I disputed immediately and was reversed.  I never shop at Target because thankfully one is not conveniently located or I'd be hacked all the time.  

Honored Contributor

No debit card for me and the only credit card I use is my American Express since you have to pay in full each month so no debt ever.  It is just like my checkbook without taking the time to write a check.

Seriously about 6 months ago I did write a check for a ton of cleaning supplies at the Dollar Store there was no line behind me but by the time we were finishing up this man started screaming at me didn't I have a debit card or credit card.  He was furious I was writing a check and the man appeared to be in his 70's.  The couple of people in between us were horrified and so was the cashier.  If the man had been very young I could have understood his irritation somewhat but someone born decades ago and grew up with checks, not hardly.   He really got angry when I told him I did not have a debit card and had no intention to ever get one.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

My debit card also serves as my ATM card which is the only time I use it.

Approximately 8 years ago my cousin used her debit card and all the money in her account was withdrawn.  She was a victim of identity teft.

DH and I NEVER use it, EVER.  We use our credit card and pay the balance off every month.  We get "cash back" rewards.

Super Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

No debit card for me and the only credit card I use is my American Express since you have to pay in full each month so no debt ever.  It is just like my checkbook without taking the time to write a check.

Seriously about 6 months ago I did write a check for a ton of cleaning supplies at the Dollar Store there was no line behind me but by the time we were finishing up this man started screaming at me didn't I have a debit card or credit card.  He was furious I was writing a check and the man appeared to be in his 70's.  The couple of people in between us were horrified and so was the cashier.  If the man had been very young I could have understood his irritation somewhat but someone born decades ago and grew up with checks, not hardly.   He really got angry when I told him I did not have a debit card and had no intention to ever get one.

I would have told him to pipe down as his outburst was causing me to take more time.

Honored Contributor

@Moretofollow wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I would have told him to pipe down as his outburst was causing me to take more time.

@LovingqI did get him good by saying I was just a "Grandma" with absolutely no credit card debt since I write checks.   After a long pause he said I do not believe you.  He was a jerk.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Moretofollow wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@LovingqI did get him good by saying I was just a "Grandma" with absolutely no credit card debt since I write checks.   After a long pause he said I do not believe you.  He was a jerk.

Jerk is right! 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i use my debit card visa quite frequently and almost always have it with me. i have had two problems over the years and the bank handled it all quickly.

sorry for all of you that have had numerous problems.

@sunshine45 My incident occurred with Home Depot.  Didn't know it, but the Bank did and sent me a new card.  Had to call them for them to tell me there was a breach that I was not aware of.

When I shop at Home Depot now, it's cash or pay pal online (to be mailed or picked up).

*Call Tyrone*