Valued Contributor

Re: That's It I'm done. No more debit card!

I gave up my debit card in 2008 and haven't missed it.

I charge everything (points!) and then pay things like groceries immediately online on my credit card site.

Trusted Contributor

I only use my debit card at the ATM & use credit cards for online purchases. I don't think a credit card will solve your problem. My Discover card "may have been compromised" so they sent me a new one. I activated it a couple days ago- have not even used it yet. Received an email from Discover that my info "may have been compromised" and they are sending a new card. This was for the card I just received & never used. Seems like this is getting to be a routine occurrence & can happen whether you have debit or credit. 

Esteemed Contributor

ATM cards

Some banks offer you an ATM card that allows you to withdraw money from your checking account, but only through an ATM machine. Unlike debit cards, ATM cards do not have the Visa® or MasterCard® logo and, in most cases, may not be used to make store purchases directly.

ATM cards give you easy access to your money, but be careful because that easy access might cost you. For example, if you withdraw money from your account at your own bank's ATM, you probably won't pay any fees for that transaction. However, if you withdraw money from a different bank's ATM, you could get charged a fee from that bank as well as from your own.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/student-banking/resources/debit-cards.go

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use my debit card on occasion at the grocery store.

I keep it in a safe place at home, otherwise.

I have four layers of credit card protection:

a $1,500 monthly max on both bank cards (not 5 or 10 thousand)

I call every day to get automated balance updates

e-mail warnings

3 credit bureau locks

Esteemed Contributor

@Tribesters Neither the Credit Card or the ATM is full proof.  Any of them can be compromised.  The thing with at Debit Card though, it's your money (not the credit given you).

I pay with pay pal wherever possible and use my bank's Bill Pay.  I still write at least one check per month though that will stop when the checks are gone.  Not re-ordering any.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

i use my debit card visa quite frequently and almost always have it with me. i have had two problems over the years and the bank handled it all quickly.

sorry for all of you that have had numerous problems.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Having plastic in your wallet is almost a necessity these days. Not only is it convenient to be able to swipe or tap to make a payment for your everyday purchases, but some retailers require it.

Before you acquire your next piece of plastic, it’s important to know that not all card types are created equally. Below we’ll dive more deeply into the differences between ATM, debit, and credit cards — but first, here’s a quick look at the basics:

Feature ATM Card Debit Card Credit Card

Funds connected to bank account:YesYes No
Use anywhere cards are accepted:NoYesYes
Receive a bill and pay later:No NoYes
Charges interest:No NoYes
Affects credit score:No NoYes
Best place to obtain: Ask Your BankAsk Your Bank.  

http://www.cardrates.com/advice/atm-card-vs-debit-card-vs-credit-card/

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

If I do automatic bill pay through a company's website, I only do it if they allow a credit card, so I can get the points from my Visa Rewards.  Otherwise, I pay through my bank online bill pay.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I haven't used my debit card in forever.  I rarely use cash, so I go to the ATM about 4x a year.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

I have never paid bills by going to,the creditor's website and initiating payment there rather than initiating payment through my bank's bill pay option.  WHy?  BEcause when you pay on line through the receipent's web site you are entering your bank information into their computer system. NOw that creditor has your bank routing number and account number in their computer data base.  IF their  data bases are hacked as so many have been what is to prevent the hackers from getting into your bank account.   THe fewer places you can get away with giving that sort of information to the better off you are.  I don't trust any entity to keep my information safe so the fewer places it resides in the better.

@KathyPet

ITA ......   I woud NEVER go to a creditor's site to pay a bill, either.    OMG ....   What are people thinking?

I use my Debit card for the ATM, period.   I use cash for many purchases.   I use a CC for large purchases and "emergency" type purchases.

BY THE WAY .............   In the past, I've had my debit card compromised THREE TIMES ...... and each time, the only retail purchases I had made were at Target!!!    That's when I stopped using it for everything but the ATM.

People need to get their act together and get up to speed with all the scams out there!