Honored Contributor

That's It I'm done. No more debit card!

Got yet another letter from my bank that my debit Visa card may have been compromised and they are issuing a new card.  The card actually came the same day as the letter.

When I opened the letter I told DH we are done.  Our bank no longer issues regular ATM cards but from now on, that's all we are going to use our debit card for.  No more using it for gas, groceries, dept. store shopping, restaurants, etc. 

I am applying for a CC that earns points and we will use that for everything and just pay the bill at the end of the month.  I am tired of dealing with getting a new debit Visa every couple of months. 

I am also going to pay all my bills using my bank's bill pay option.  In the past, it wasn't that great and you had to allow 7-10 days for the payment to actually be made but now they have perfected the bill pay and the bill is paid the day you say you want the payment withdrawn. 

Before I was going to the website of each company and paying the bill via their site.  No more.      

Trusted Contributor

Re: That's It I'm done. No more debit card!

I hear ya sistah!

Same thing happened to me all the time.

I use cc or cash that's it.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

I don't blame you.

Honored Contributor

Never done the debit card thing. I just don't need another thing to worry about being compromised or lost. Back in the day you lost all your money if it was compromised, but I have heard that isn't the case anymore, and you get your money refunded, but it takes time. I often don't have time to wait, I need the money in that account to go back out to pay bills.

I tend to pay cash for groceries, gas and shopping trips. It helps me control my spending. I carry a credit card, and these days, just about every place takes them, so it is always there as a backup or for unexpected expenses while out and about.

I really fail to see the need for debit, when a credit card works all the same places, safer and easier to use.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never paid bills by going to,the creditor's website and initiating payment there rather than initiating payment through my bank's bill pay option.  WHy?  BEcause when you pay on line through the receipent's web site you are entering your bank information into their computer system. NOw that creditor has your bank routing number and account number in their computer data base.  IF their  data bases are hacked as so many have been what is to prevent the hackers from getting into your bank account.   THe fewer places you can get away with giving that sort of information to the better off you are.  I don't trust any entity to keep my information safe so the fewer places it resides in the better.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I have never paid bills by going to,the creditor's website and initiating payment there rather than initiating payment through my bank's bill pay option.  WHy?  BEcause when you pay on line through the receipent's web site you are entering your bank information into their computer system. NOw that creditor has your bank routing number and account number in their computer data base.  IF their  data bases are hacked as so many have been what is to prevent the hackers from getting into your bank account.   THe fewer places you can get away with giving that sort of information to the better off you are.  I don't trust any entity to keep my information safe so the fewer places it resides in the better.

@KathyPet ITA. No reason to pay your bills at each place online when you can pay them all thru your bank without spreading your info all over the internet. 

Honored Contributor

I've never allowed any bank or credit union to activate a debit card on my accounts.  I did it originally when there was no protection for debit card, but now I do it because they have no advantage for me.

I use credit for lots and lots, but I pay those cards off every month and I discipline my spending to make certain I can pay.  And every charge I make gives me a percentage of credit which varies on my accounts from 5% down to 1%, depending upon the card and the item being charged.

What I earn certainly isn't big money, but I don't buy more jusr because I'm paying with plastic, so whatever I get is good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know how credit card companies do it but recently someone got a hold of my cc no.  They were trying to charge over a $1,000 at Walmart and another was coming in for over $400.  Both were caught and my CC co. issued a new card and sent it overnight.  When you think about it, we give our no. out to purchase to someone over the phone and that person has all your info.  Every so often you come across a crook.  My credit card co. has been so good to me in other ways and I will remain to be a loyal customer.  I also receive points for purchases.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I still choose to receive bills by mail, but I pay them through my bank and set the date I want for payment to be made.

Respected Contributor

Same thing has happened to my sister.  Too many times to count.  I never had a debit card, never will.